Another "Need Advice with this Friend" Thread

wow I just caught this post...I am on the B boat......

a while back if you remember, maybe...maybe not....you gave me some advice about my SIL....she had called me and said she had no money and her kids, my nieces were very Ill and was having issues with her hubby etc...it was Xmas time and I almost sent her all of our Xmas money, but dh said absolutely not....well I was feeling bad until a few days later where I learned she had taken other people for money and ended up in vegas with her Dh. If I remember correctly...you sided with my dh and told me she was obviously taking advantage of my good nature....uhmm it sounds like you might be on that boat now.

I vote B, really really!!!!

Quote:
Sooo.... I guess I should practice what I preach??
lol.png

Thanks for that reminder. You are right!
tongue.png

Quote:
lol.png

tongue.png

big_smile.png

I am barely on these days I missed reading your posts!!!

Quote:
lol.png

tongue.png

big_smile.png

I am barely on these days I missed reading your posts!!!

Aw, thanks!
hugs.gif

In my opinion, it is important to keep your word, if I were you I would pick out one piece of jewerly (and it would be the least expensive) and not buy anymore from her. That way you are keeping your word. I wouldn't say anything to her, because it won't make a difference or change the way she is. I have inlaws like this.
This reminds me of something that happened recently to me and my husband. We anonymously sent some money to a family we thought was in "need". It was a small sacrifice for us and they had mentioned the need for help several months before. About a month after we sent it, they announced they were going on a cruise.
barnie.gif
I didn't say anything since it was anonymous, but I felt burned.
For a while afterwards I'd joke with my DH about our "contribution" to their cruise. I had to hear about their good time too. UGH.

I just skimmed through the posts. $50 is her least expensive! I change my answer now, I was thinking a couple bucks. If you can't afford it, I would just tell her the truth that you can't justify spending that much on jewerly. I would just tell her you didn't realize the price and had assumed they were MUCH less(LOL just like I did).

Quote:
LOL. I read your first answer, and I was like, okay.... everyone's entitled to their opinion...
lol.png
Like I said, I would not have offered to buy anything at all had I realized how expensive it was going to be!! So when I realized she was also blowing money on designer bags, it kind of added insult to injury. I really think I will quietly blow it off.....
hide.gif
If she asks I will probably just say I can't afford it after all, which IS true, regardless of her foolish spending habits.

Quote:
Yeah we have no charge cards, nails do not get done, my hair is now looking like Janis Joplin, no gym, I am the housecleaner and Ken is the gardner. Broke is broke and people who can still pay for all that ain't broke.

Yep. I cut my own hair, do my own nails, pluck my own brows, clean my own house, and cook my own meals. And the most I've ever spent on a purse is $16 at Walmart.

Option B, then C if they ask again!

I have been in your "shoes", you help some one out, ie: food, "money" for rent, bills..... Then find out the person went out drinking for the whole weekend.... bought $500.00 in clothes. I "helped" once, then it is on themselves. They choose to make poor financial decisions, even if you buy her jewelry once, this crap will happen again! If she can buy a LV purse for $600.00, even if she is going to resale it, she does not need your help.
I say do not "buy" into her troubles, not worth your efforts! You were nice to try to help........ But I would stay away from this situation!

hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom