Another new chicken keeper

I'm not sure what eggs my wife had me pickup besides 3 of them I know are silkies. There was a green egg that hatched but I don't know for sure if this black with white dot chick came out or the white chick. This chick to me looks like a male olive egger

Attachments

• IMG_20220619_182242.jpg
    IMG_20220619_182242.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 3
3 is the final count. Had 2 pips not make it and another one didn't pip. It's been warm here in Pittsburgh and they are all in the coop. Like I've mentioned, mommas low hen in the pole so I'm going to give it a week or so before letting them hang with the flock. We started letting flock free range again with careful eyes, the woods behind yard are literally infested with coyotes.

Attachments

• IMG_20220621_170532.jpg
    IMG_20220621_170532.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 3
Yesterday was a lesson. Momma hen us sick of being confined. I let her and the chicks out to free range with the flock. All was going well, a few hens came around but seemed to just ignore them and moved on. Then one hen got too close, momma stood up like and angry goose, neck feathers flared and a full blown seen in the movie cock fight ensued. Chicks scattered, the other hens ran over, they started chasing chicks around. It was total chaos. I was really hoping to merge them before we leave for vacation in about 10 days. That way the rain water collection and bigger feeders can keep maintenance down for my older neighbors that watch them while we're gone

Yesterday was a lesson. Momma hen us sick of being confined. I let her and the chicks out to free range with the flock. All was going well, a few hens came around but seemed to just ignore them and moved on. Then one hen got too close, momma stood up like and angry goose, neck feathers flared and a full blown seen in the movie cock fight ensued. Chicks scattered, the other hens ran over, they started chasing chicks around. It was total chaos. I was really hoping to merge them before we leave for vacation in about 10 days. That way the rain water collection and bigger feeders can keep maintenance down for my older neighbors that watch them while we're gone
There is still hope that they can integrate within a week's time. Do you have them in a look/ don't touch area? I'd let them in with the flock for a limited time each day, while supervising. If there is another fight, just break it up by grabbing the offending hen. Then mom can gather the chicks up herself. Most hens won't mess with a broody more than once.

There is still hope that they can integrate within a week's time. Do you have them in a look/ don't touch area? I'd let them in with the flock for a limited time each day, while supervising. If there is another fight, just break it up by grabbing the offending hen. Then mom can gather the chicks up herself. Most hens won't mess with a broody more than once.
Great advice.

Back
Top Bottom