Another New Member from SC: Medication Inventory

triciayoung

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Oct 15, 2022
Mountville, SC
My Coop
My Coop
Thank you for allowing me to join this forum. I am new to chicken keeping, but perhaps someday I will be able to contribute. I am very surprised at the low number of avian veterinarians in SC. My nearest is 1 1/2 hours from me. I have 11 chickens. They were all supposed to be hens, however, I have two roosters. They are 16-weeks this week. I live in the country, so I really do not have anyone to complain about their crowing. I love my roosters and will be keeping them. They are both Speckled Sussex. My hens are 1-Speckled Sussex (my Lucy), 2-Barred rocks, 2-Australorps, 1-Deleware, and 3-silkies. I cannot let my chickens free range...the hawk population is ridiculously high, however, we built them a covered run that is 20x55 feet. Because veterinary care is so far away, I am stocking up on medications. Thus far, I have: Safeguard, Praziquantel, Corid, Poly vi Sol, Vetrx, Enrofloxacin, and Banixx. I also have DE and mite dusting powders to mix into the dust bath. Of course, I have the "people" first aid items also. I am trying to stay preventative by using apple cider vinegar in water, keeping the coop and run clean, keeping food and water off the floor, etc....What am I missing? Thank you for responding.

Thank you for allowing me to join this forum. I am new to chicken keeping, but perhaps someday I will be able to contribute. I am very surprised at the low number of avian veterinarians in SC. My nearest is 1 1/2 hours from me. I have 11 chickens. They were all supposed to be hens, however, I have two roosters. They are 16-weeks this week. I live in the country, so I really do not have anyone to complain about their crowing. I love my roosters and will be keeping them. They are both Speckled Sussex. My hens are 1-Speckled Sussex (my Lucy), 2-Barred rocks, 2-Australorps, 1-Deleware, and 3-silkies. I cannot let my chickens free range...the hawk population is ridiculously high, however, we built them a covered run that is 20x55 feet. Because veterinary care is so far away, I am stocking up on medications. Thus far, I have: Safeguard, Praziquantel, Corid, Poly vi Sol, Vetrx, Enrofloxacin, and Banixx. I also have DE and mite dusting powders to mix into the dust bath. Of course, I have the "people" first aid items also. I am trying to stay preventative by using apple cider vinegar in water, keeping the coop and run clean, keeping food and water off the floor, etc....What am I missing? Thank you for responding.

Welcome To BYC

Sounds like you have most things covered.
Having a kennel/crate or separate area for a sick or injured bird can come in handy.

Good luck with your new venture!

Thank you. It is an honor to be in this group. I forgot to add that I also have a medium dog size kennel also so that I can turn it into a henspital if needed. I also have terramycin for any eye issues. I use it for my dogs, but read it can be used for the chickens also.

Welcome :). I am also in upstate SC and the avian vet I keep bookmarked is Alan Fudge. I have no idea if that would be closer than 1 1/2 hours to you or not, and maybe you've already checked that one out, but just in case!

Back
Top Bottom