Another New Member

Pixiestick912

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2019
Oregon, United States
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I've had birds since I was 13. Was told stories of my families birds growing up. My first was a rooster my cousin planned to buy at fair to eat. I bought it instead and got in trouble for spending my lunch money on a rooster that I refused to eat and didn't have a set up for. I've had chickens ever since. Met my chicken breed of choice the same year when a boy brought in his pet Silkie for show and tell. They've been a passion and hobby of mine over the last 17 years.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Around 85. About 1/4 of them are chicks/grow outs I'll be selling or holding and selling in the spring though.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Mostly Silkie. Starting a Maran flock. I have a few random layers for egg production.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Their personalities and the different colors you get as they mature.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

The outdoors in general. Hiking, hunting, fishing, camping...

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Currently live on my grandmathers farm. Plan to hopefully get my own place going in the next year or two with my boyfriend. I also have a horse, 7 goats, 5 sheep, a dog, 3 cats, 2 geese, 3 ducks, 3 quail, a turtle and a Love bird. I work at my town diner most of the year and fight fires in the summer.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I've probably been using BYC for the last 2-3 years to help treat my sick birds. Vet bills got to be too much and so I started looking up symptoms and treatments online. Most of my answers I got from here. I finally joined because I want to share pictures of my birds. XD

IMG_20190324_225922_930.jpg

Last edited:
The combo picture is my own personal collage of the four different Silkie feather types. Left to right, top to bottom, it goes Silkie, Frizzled Silkie, Satin, and then Frizzled Satin. My Satins have Cochin ancestry, but it's very diluted at this point. I currently just have two breeding pens and they're a mixture of colors, each having Silkie and Satins in them. So my flock is basically a hobby flock. I've got a lot of great birds from good local breeders though, and have some amazing offspring from them.

Back
Top Bottom