Another newbie question

We'll be in East Texas by then so not terribly cold....even tho it'll be 15 degrees here by Monday! Normally we have a pretty mild winter time. If we opt for chicks, the brooder will be in the house....pullets would be in the new coop/run. I also wonder how many boys we would get by surprise if we went with chicks.....
You could buy female chicks but there not always right. would breed would you get if u get pullets bc if ur in Texas probs want a breed that can tolerate heat. If the roosters grow up together they will probaly establish pecking order and not fight but that is not always true

Good point , babies are more prone. You will get eggs way faster if you order pullets .

Assuming that they are "coop ready" you will be even on money. Chicks are cheaper but you need a brooder and have to pay more for feed , pullets up front are more expensive but you save time plus you dont have to get a brooder.

Overall I think you should probably get pullets!
I'm leaning that way....makes more sense to go with pullets. I'll discuss with my girl, give her all the points and let her decide.......it'll be a much happier household, that way!!

if u ever want tips to tame ur birds to like you more let me know if you need help but they probaly already like you

I'm leaning that way....makes more sense to go with pullets. I'll discuss with my girl, give her all the points and let her decide.......it'll be a much happier household, that way!
Yeah
I'm thinking a hatchery would be a better option than going to TSC or some place like that.....but if she opens the box when it arrives and finds one that didn't survive....OMG!!!
Tsc chicks tend to be less healthy than hatchery chicks from my experience. I had one tsc chick randomly die last year and the others had paste butt.

Yeah

Tsc chicks tend to be less healthy than hatchery chicks from my experience. I had one tsc chick randomly die last year and the others had paste butt.
I was wondering if it was a good idea to go there...thanks...that helps. I guess I better start researching hatcheries....oh dear......can you give me any direction?

My wife would be more about bonding since they'll be more like pets to her. I'm more practical and consider the wait for egg production.....I should probably opt for chicks.....I'd rather see the smile on my wife's face.......
Im not married but , happy wife happy life!
So I wasn't counting that into effect, I've never been good at bonding with birds, so I hope y'all are.
Yeah I would get baby chicks. If she spends time with them and snuggles them in a way they will bond and be her best friends. The started pullets might be flighty and not have anything to do with you or her. Chicks would be a better option.
You better believe it! 😂

Back
Top Bottom