Another newbie question

Magoo1957

Chirping
Jan 7, 2024
Texas
When we do finally get our babies, if we opt to get pullets instead of young chicks, do I even need a brooder? And which is better for us to start with....chicks or pullets?

When we do finally get our babies, if we opt to get pullets instead of young chicks, do I even need a brooder? And which is better for us to start with....chicks or pullets?
How old would the pullets be?

It definitely depends.
If you get chicks you need a brooder,feeder,and water ect.
Chicks tend to be easy to raise, the real question is do you want to raise them fully or get older birds that you dont have to worry about raising?

If they are fully feathered there is no need for a brooder, they can go straight to the coop. As far as your other question, that's completely up to you. When I started out, I didn't want to mess with chicks, so I got started pullets. I paid extra for pullets for my first 2 yrs of chicken keeping, then I got hatch crazy, lol. Chicks take a little more time and effort than started birds, so just keep that in mind.

what is the temperature were you are? You do not need a brooder if u buy pullets the only reason I would get chicks if I were you would be for the experience. It will not be easier to bond with them if anything getting chicks has more cons compared to buying pullets.

It definitely depends.
Chicks tend to be easy to raise, the real question is do you want to raise them fully or get older birds that you dont have to worry about raising?
Since my wife and I will both be retired then, we'll have the time, I guess I'm thinking about the babies more prone to death than started pullets, having to wait longer for egg production, etc

It definitely depends.
My wife would be more about bonding since they'll be more like pets to her. I'm more practical and consider the wait for egg production.....I should probably opt for chicks.....I'd rather see the smile on my wife's face.......

Since my wife and I will both be retired then, we'll have the time, I guess I'm thinking about the babies more prone to death than started pullets, having to wait longer for egg production, etc
Good point , babies are more prone. You will get eggs way faster if you order pullets .

Assuming that they are "coop ready" you will be even on money. Chicks are cheaper but you need a brooder and have to pay more for feed , pullets up front are more expensive but you save time plus you dont have to get a brooder.

Overall I think you should probably get pullets!

what is the temperature were you are? You do not need a brooder if u buy pullets the only reason I would get chicks if I were you would be for the experience. It will not be easier to bond with them if anything getting chicks has more cons compared to buying pullets.
We'll be in East Texas by then so not terribly cold....even tho it'll be 15 degrees here by Monday! Normally we have a pretty mild winter time. If we opt for chicks, the brooder will be in the house....pullets would be in the new coop/run. I also wonder how many boys we would get by surprise if we went with chicks.....

My wife would be more about bonding since they'll be more like pets to her. I'm more practical and consider the wait for egg production.....I should probably opt for chicks.....I'd rather see the smile on my wife's face.......
Im not married but , happy wife happy life!
So I wasn't counting that into effect, I've never been good at bonding with birds, so I hope y'all are.

Back
Top Bottom