Another newbie question

I would have to agree with @Chicks in VA - ordering from a hatchery would be better - would it be possible to go pick them up? Is there a large hatchery near you?
I'm researching now.....we haven't bought the land yet, but I know we'll be in East Texas so anywhere near Dallas would be a possibility....it's only a couple hours or so from E Texas......

Yeah I would get baby chicks. If she spends time with them and snuggles them in a way they will bond and be her best friends. The started pullets might be flighty and not have anything to do with you or her. Chicks would be a better option.
You better believe it! 😂
Oh my goodness......well.....I'd better leave it up to her....I'm thinking pullets bit I bet she'll opt for chicks......she'd sleep in the brooder if she could! LOL

I'm researching now.....we haven't bought the land yet, but I know we'll be in East Texas so anywhere near Dallas would be a possibility....it's only a couple hours or so from E Texas......
1704899936050.png

We'll be in East Texas by then so not terribly cold....even tho it'll be 15 degrees here by Monday! Normally we have a pretty mild winter time. If we opt for chicks, the brooder will be in the house....pullets would be in the new coop/run. I also wonder how many boys we would get by surprise if we went with chicks.....
You can get sexed chicks so you know you have all hens that being said sometimes mistakes are made and you end up with a rooster.

I was wondering if it was a good idea to go there...thanks...that helps. I guess I better start researching hatcheries....oh dear......can you give me any direction?
I ordered from cackle but haven't received yet so Idk if they are good but my friend likes them
I dont know where in TX but I know ideal hatchery is somewhere in TX. I Ordered bantams 1 1\2 years ago and they got here safe and sound no one was sick, hurt ,injured ect!

So I recommend Ideal hatchery .
I think they are in Cameron Texas, but I dont know where that is

I'd like to raise my hand for started pullets for the his first reason given, prone to death.
You and your lady want a good first time chicken keeping experience. 6wk old are still cute , fun and you can still bond with them and they are a bit hardier then tiny ones. With that being said, you will want to provide them a cuddle box in the coop as they won't roost for a few more weeks.

Once you get the hang of it, you can get her some baby chicks.

Back
Top Bottom