Another newbie question?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by buelltonbrian, May 1, 2007.

1. buelltonbrian

buelltonbrian New Egg

Feb 5, 2007
    Central Calif. Kind of.
    Hi all,
    I was wondering if it is ok to use the ashes out of my fireplace for my chicks to take a dustbath in? I have only burnt avocado wood.
    Thanks
    Brian

2. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    I wouldn't do it. Ashes are pretty fine and may cause respiratory problems. Am also not sure of the chemical transformation when wood burns.

3. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    A lot of old-timers do use wood ash, but I also worry about the respiratory problems, especially if you were using it indoors.
    I tend to dump my wood stove ashes in various spots over the winter, and come spring I'll often find my girls wallowing around in one or other of the piles. Outside I think it blows away more than it gets inhaled (I hope!).
    Obviously we aren't burning any avacado wood in Vermont [​IMG], so I don't know if that's a problem or not. We burn mainly maple.

4. Lipkis

Lipkis Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    Sand is really good for a dustbath and also makes great grit! If you have a yard with a ton of dirt in it use that, I know that you might be all, "But that will make them dirty not clean!"

But the chicks pick out all the dirt nd they're good as new. We tried using sand and oru chicks thought it was food (they still are trying to figure out what food looks like and sand kinda looks like food) but they'll get the idea soon enough.

5. buelltonbrian

buelltonbrian New Egg

Feb 5, 2007
    Central Calif. Kind of.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I thought I had read about people using hardwood ashes. Actually I have a bunch of sand in their run so they can just use that. Hehehe I can kill two birds with one stone.[​IMG] They can use it for a dustbath and eat it for grit..

Thanks again,
    Brian

6. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

My ladies seek out ashes from our burn piles, etc to dust bathe in. They love it and we haven't had any health problems from it. They have plenty of sand and other bare soil areas, but they prefer the ashes.

Lori

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by