Another poopy question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Crickett, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    Right now I have my babies in their brooder bow and am using shredded newspaper as a filler. My question is, is it possible to use cat litter as a filler? [​IMG] I mean, they are all still alive and look happy and healthy, I don't want to put something in there that could hurt them if they peck at it and eat some.[​IMG] DH says sawdust is good filler, but it will be monday before we can get any. Also planning on getting some terramycin then as well, just in case.

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I think I've seen some one say they've used cat litter. I haven't, hope some one else jumps in here! [​IMG]

3. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I would think cat litter would be too 'dusty' and cause breathing problem as well as sawdust. Shavings would be better.

4. crazy for chicken

crazy for chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Voorheesville
    I use news paper then put a pice of wire on top of it so they don't slip.
    [​IMG]

5. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Not sure if it is safe to use cat litter but if someone says it is just make sure you don't use scoopable. That can kill kittens if ingested so I am sure it could kill chickens if ingested.
    I do think wood shavings would be cheaper and less heavy when cleaning. Also pine pellets for horse bedding could be a filler.

6. eestep8

eestep8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Cat litter cause breathing problems for me so I wouldn't use it. I use paper towels right now. I use the "select a size" ones use a double layer, it gets changed about twice a day or more. Not to expensive if you buy store brand.

7. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Another "free" option for bedding is the diamond cut shreds from an office paper shredder. We are currently brooding 20 chicks and go through bedding like crazy since I'm fanatical about cleanliness. Our office secretary saves the bags of shreds for me. I use a cardboard box for a brooder, lay down a disposable incontinence pad (you could also use a puppy pee pad), one layer of paper towels, and the shreds on top. To clean daily just lift the edges of the paper towels and throw away.

Once the birds have gotten to 4 weeks old or so sometimes the liquid seeps through to the pad and it may need to be changed as well.

8. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    Thanks. Talked it over with DH as well, and have decided to use pine shavings. We'll get some monday. For now, just sticking with the shredded newspaper. It's working ok, I just wondered if there wasn't something better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by