Another puppy question.. *short video clips on page 2* Advice?

Well, my dogs don't live in a "pen". They are all house dogs. As I stated before, it is unwise to post things that might be misconstrued, or misused causing harm to others.

MOST of the time it is wise to separate dogs for feeding. I need to know exactly how much each dog is eating. I don't want dogs trading bowls and eating after each other. I have older dogs who get less food and would like to have more than they get. I have younger dogs who need to eat all they are fed in order to maintain their body condition on their conditioning regime. I need to know if any dog is off food. And most of all, I do not need dog fights over something stupid and preventable such as fighting over food. Neither does anyone else. Just because it happens to work for YOUR dogs does not mean it is good advice for ANYONE else.

Quote:
Thanks!
smile.png

Quote:
Likewise, just because you can't do it with your dogs doesn't mean it can't be done.

Ours eat together, all five of them. They know their spots. They know to sit before their bowl is put down, and who gets their bowl when. Most importantly of all, they know what is expected of them in terms of behavior. They don't eat each others' food, and they do not fight.

Quote:
Likewise, just because you can't do it with your dogs doesn't mean it can't be done.

Ours eat together, all five of them. They know their spots. They know to sit before their bowl is put down, and who gets their bowl when. Most importantly of all, they know what is expected of them in terms of behavior. They don't eat each others' food, and they do not fight.

Same here.. i put Dukes bowl there and Daisys bowl there.. i also make them sit... and tell them when they can eat.
But mine do switch bowls sometimes.... Is that bad?
hide.gif
They dont fight at all..they just switch bowls...kinda like.. "what do YOU have for supper?? SWITCH!"... and by unspoken agreement.,they just switch bowls sometimes. Not all the time though...
Maybe i shouldnt let them do that?

Last edited:
For my inside dogs I leave food down continuously for them to eat out of. No over weight dogs and no fights here. My two wiener girls have been eating puppy food since march and have not gained any weight another issue.

If you feed twice a day. I would supervise each feeding session and put your dogs in the same room and put their bowl with food each in a different corner or feed the saints how you have been but put the pup in the same room away from the saints with his own bowl of food and he is not to go by the saints food and the saints can't go to the puppies food either you make sure and then when done or after 20 min. take it all up till next feeding mind you I think a pup should get feed 3 times a day. The puppies other feeding you could put the pup in the crate to eat or locked in the kitchen just to eat or something simular.

Redhen, you're not lucky, it is the way you have raised them, just as I have. I have dogs that SHOULD have food agression, they are large huskies, but they don't. They just don't fight, I can feed them in one big bowl or in 5 separate bowls, doesn't matter.

Quote:
My two inside dogs used to do this until I had to switch diets because my girl was gaining too much weight. And you're right, it's like they look up and say SWITCH and it's done....lol

Quote:

Same here.. i put Dukes bowl there and Daisys bowl there.. i also make them sit... and tell them when they can eat.
hide.gif
They dont fight at all..they just switch bowls...kinda like.. "what do YOU have for supper?? SWITCH!"... and by unspoken agreement.,they just switch bowls sometimes. Not all the time though...

It seems you have been doing what I just mentioned above but now also with the pup. Think of it this way....you have a 5 year old child child and 2 teenagers eating at your house. Do you think it will be ok or fair to the 5 year old to have to eat what you say but the teenagers can share, eat what they want, etc.

So act like they are your kids and treat them all fairly and expect them all to follow the same rules. So the little new puppy will learn how to act and eat respect others space and things your the mommy....
wink.png

Quote:
Something wrong with a 'pen'? I have sled dogs, they prefer the outside.

I have two inside dogs also that used to eat together, no troubles, no issues until the female got a bit older and started gaining weight, that's when I didn't let them switch bowls anymore because she's on a different food. Has nothing to do with them eating together tho. They still do, just not allowed to switch.

I'm just relating my experiences with dogs for the last ... 30+ years. Some people's may be different, but I've not had issues with food aggression, sorry.

And just because YOU'VE had that experience with yours, doesn't mean it's good for anyone else either, it works both ways.

Last edited:
Quote:
hide.gif

It seems you have been doing what I just mentioned above but now also with the pup. Think of it this way....you have a 5 year old child child and 2 teenagers eating at your house. Do you think it will be ok or fair to the 5 year old to have to eat what you say but the teenagers can share, eat what they want, etc.

So act like they are your kids and treat them all fairly and expect them all to follow the same rules. So the little new puppy will learn how to act and eat respect others space and things your the mommy....
wink.png

Thanks.. yeah.. thats what we have always done.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom