Another reason to raise your own...

this is all very worrisome. The fish farming of gene altered fish is a huge accident waiting to happen. Fish culture pens are notoriously porous, with lots of fish escaping and fish sterilization methods are only about 99% effective. As a comparison, hatcheries are about 99% effective on sexing chickens......how many roos is that.

I think consumers have a right to know what they are eating. I think we should all be lobbying congress to pass labeling laws. The companies producing these products knows the public would not buy them if they were labeled, so they are pushing for regulations that favor the producers.

This is not the only news source reporting this.

Jody, what apples are gene altered? I would like to avoid them if possible, just on principal.

just curious........not wanting to argue here.......HONEST! Could this new technology help feed the starving people of the world who just need food? OR is this more Corprate hijinx? If it could trickle into Africa etc....I am for it. OK GUYS........just SLAP Me............
barnie.gif

Just look at all of the problems that we have with birds, plants and animals that weren't supposed to be here. Asian ladybeattles, jumping carp, zebra mussels, purple loosestrife, kudzu, and on and on. Just think of the problems with plants and animals that weren't supposed to be. Scary!
sickbyc.gif
[/img]

Quote:
Based on today's prices, I doubt it. The cost is basically double that of regular grown foods, so I'd say there is no benefit currently. Perhaps the thinking behind this is in case of devastating losses on food products (which may not be able to be grown due to how we destroyed the Earth), they can make it inside (without dirt/sun).
idunno.gif

Jody

Quote:
Africanized honeybees, thanks to the researchers screwing around in a lab trying to crossbreed bees, because again the ones the lord gave us apparently weren't good enough, we now have them in this country.

Quote:
I do, thanks. But I also know that Monsanto is working their tails of making genetically modified food that is cheaper to produce. And to make the farmers raising food dependent on Monsanto for their starting material. Look at the seeds they produce!

I know this because I worked for a company hired by Monsanto to train their people to do the genetic work my company knew how to do.

edited for grammer and spelling

Monsanto is also trying to patent certain genes so that no one in the world can buy or sell particular animals. Worldwide farmers are seriously fighting the attempt to patent 1 naturally occuring gene in pigs that makes them grow faster than their geneless counterparts.

For all the good they could have done Monsanto has become an evil giant bullying and using their wealth to put the common man out of buisness.

Do some research and you will see not just Americans and Canadians suffering at the hands of corporate farming. What they are trying to do will cause world wide damage to every farm with a pig.

Ijust keeps getting scarier and scarier. All of this messing around with genetic mutations sure makes a strong argument for raising your own food.

Back
Top Bottom