Another rescue from the bird dog

ChickyWhicky

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 19, 2022
Iowa, USA
I've already posted one story about my german shorthaired pointer helping us "rescue" our lost baby chicks. He is such a good dog, I have to share another quick story from last night.
It was well after dark and I had already shut the chickens up in the coop. I was doing a project inside the barn and I kept hearing Kano barking and carrying on in the back yard. I peeked my head out and saw him and the bloodhound running around (as well as I could see in the dark) and assumed they were playing. I told them to settle down and went about my project. Well, Kano continued to bark and eventually would peek his head into the barn and stare at me, then leave. He did this a few times and I finally decided it seemed like he needed something. I grabbed a flashlight and went out back to where he was. I can't even make this up, he was pointing out into the darkness. I am talking pitch black and I'm going to be honest, it freaked me out. I went over and shined the flashlight in the direction of his point.... And low and behold there was a chicken out there in the snow! The poor thing must have missed dusk and didn't make her way to the coop. She was laid down in the middle of the yard, in the snow and wind. I grabbed her and got her settled into the coop.
This dog of mine is a real gem & I love him so! He is such a good boy and honestly one of the best dogs I've ever had. I still can't believe how our seasoned bird hunting dog has turned into a chicken shepherd, but we are grateful for him every day. ❤️

20221225_142649.jpg

That is one fine dog. My border collie mix Hermione used to bring me live chickens from a neighbor that allowed her birds to free range. She obviously was an advocate of chicken math.
I bet she figured that the wandering chickens were separated from their flock and needed to be brought back together. Makes perfect sense given her breed!

I've already posted one story about my german shorthaired pointer helping us "rescue" our lost baby chicks. He is such a good dog, I have to share another quick story from last night.
It was well after dark and I had already shut the chickens up in the coop. I was doing a project inside the barn and I kept hearing Kano barking and carrying on in the back yard. I peeked my head out and saw him and the bloodhound running around (as well as I could see in the dark) and assumed they were playing. I told them to settle down and went about my project. Well, Kano continued to bark and eventually would peek his head into the barn and stare at me, then leave. He did this a few times and I finally decided it seemed like he needed something. I grabbed a flashlight and went out back to where he was. I can't even make this up, he was pointing out into the darkness. I am talking pitch black and I'm going to be honest, it freaked me out. I went over and shined the flashlight in the direction of his point.... And low and behold there was a chicken out there in the snow! The poor thing must have missed dusk and didn't make her way to the coop. She was laid down in the middle of the yard, in the snow and wind. I grabbed her and got her settled into the coop.
This dog of mine is a real gem & I love him so! He is such a good boy and honestly one of the best dogs I've ever had. I still can't believe how our seasoned bird hunting dog has turned into a chicken shepherd, but we are grateful for him every day. ❤️

View attachment 3368375
I have to reply! Your Buddy is a great representative of the breed. I no longer have a shorthair, Buddy makes me want another one. The persistence he displayed seems to be something that chicken loving doggies have in common. Of course shorthairs are persistent in everything they do, especially when Adam wanted the couch cushions in the backyard! I still don’t know how he got them out the dog door 😂

Back
Top Bottom