Another Rooster Question....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gonzo, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Is there any relation to the age a rooster begins to crow, and his level of aggresivness? Just really curious... Like the sooner, the meaner & visa versa... [​IMG]

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    [​IMG] ?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Nope, don't think so. I've had them crow really early and be sweethearts; had them crow late and become human-aggressive. I just doubt there's any connection, but that's a good question!

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    All roos are different.

At present I have three roos, all purebred from breeders, (Partridge Cochin, Blue Ameraucana and GC Maran) and they are not too noisy so I'm keeping them. (I have some chicks that are roos but unless one is a beautiful blue, they are all being rehomed.)

Some crow early others don't. I don't have any agressive ones yet. Blue roo will be 1 in September.

I have a 17 week old GC Maran that hardly ever crows, but when the blue roo is out in the run, he does his dance and gets the job done.

I did have a White leghorn that started crowing early (11 weeks)and he was taking care of the hens at 15 weeks. Pretty amazing. I had to give him up because he was so EXTREMELY noisy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: