Another round of "Hen or Roo?" and "What breed?"

horsethrill

Hatching
Aug 8, 2016
Hello! This is my first time posting on this forum. I love this website and have found many good ideas and tips from everyone. Anyway, I'm very new to the whole chicken thing. I have a co-worker that has 30+ chickens so I've been getting a lot of tips from him. These chickens were given to us by someone who had way to many. We asked for 8 and ended up with 15. They have adjusted well and are loving farm life.

In the beginning, I thought these were hens because they didn't have combs or a waddle. I know they are some sort of feather-legged bantam but what breed I am unsure. All the chickens are over 6 months of age. I couldn't tell you exactly how old they all are though.

This one I am sure is a hen but as reference, the two above and this one all looked the same in the beginning. That's why I think the two above are roo's.

This little guy is definitely a roo. But what breed? Anyone know? It's possible that he's a mutt of some sort.

I originally thought this guy was the roo version of the first two. Now, I'm not so sure.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

All but the white I would say are Cochins or a mix of cochin. I also believe that you are correct on gender.

Welcome to BYC.

Most folks recommend about a 1 to 4 (or 5) ratio of boys to girls so you may consider how your boys are treating each other and the ladies. :)

Good luck with your new adventure. You have already experienced chicken math. :)

Beware of folks baring free chickens - they will dump roosters on you. And I see they did. I agree they look like cochins / cochin mixes. A rooster can handle 10 hens, so to keep order you would have to have 10 hens per rooster, so rehome the roosters and have more hens.

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for confirming though. I do have several hens as well but definitely more roo's.

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for confirming though. I do have several hens as well but definitely more roo's.
I am always straight up with anyone who buys from me or if I am giving away but not everyone is, unfortunatly.

Like I say to my kids, Free things always come at a cost.
wink.png

You do have some interesting colors and cochins are a great, gentle breed to start with.

Last edited:
2 cochin cockerels from a mixed cochin flock (not mixed breeds)
cochin pullet from a mixed cochin flock (not mixed breeds)
a mixed cock, looks to have old english in it
cochin cockerel looks to be a birchin

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom