Another round of "Hen or Roo?" and "What breed?"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by horsethrill, Aug 9, 2016.

1. horsethrill

horsethrill New Egg

Aug 8, 2016
    Hello! This is my first time posting on this forum. I love this website and have found many good ideas and tips from everyone. Anyway, I'm very new to the whole chicken thing. I have a co-worker that has 30+ chickens so I've been getting a lot of tips from him. These chickens were given to us by someone who had way to many. We asked for 8 and ended up with 15. They have adjusted well and are loving farm life.

In the beginning, I thought these were hens because they didn't have combs or a waddle. I know they are some sort of feather-legged bantam but what breed I am unsure. All the chickens are over 6 months of age. I couldn't tell you exactly how old they all are though.
    [​IMG]

This one I am sure is a hen but as reference, the two above and this one all looked the same in the beginning. That's why I think the two above are roo's.
    [​IMG]
    This little guy is definitely a roo. But what breed? Anyone know? It's possible that he's a mutt of some sort.
    [​IMG]

I originally thought this guy was the roo version of the first two. Now, I'm not so sure.
    [​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    All but the white I would say are Cochins or a mix of cochin. I also believe that you are correct on gender.

Welcome to BYC.

Most folks recommend about a 1 to 4 (or 5) ratio of boys to girls so you may consider how your boys are treating each other and the ladies. :)

Good luck with your new adventure. You have already experienced chicken math. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Beware of folks baring free chickens - they will dump roosters on you. And I see they did. I agree they look like cochins / cochin mixes. A rooster can handle 10 hens, so to keep order you would have to have 10 hens per rooster, so rehome the roosters and have more hens.

1 person likes this.
  4. horsethrill

horsethrill New Egg

Aug 8, 2016
    That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for confirming though. I do have several hens as well but definitely more roo's.

5. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    I am always straight up with anyone who buys from me or if I am giving away but not everyone is, unfortunatly.

Like I say to my kids, Free things always come at a cost. [​IMG]

You do have some interesting colors and cochins are a great, gentle breed to start with.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    2 cochin cockerels from a mixed cochin flock (not mixed breeds)
    cochin pullet from a mixed cochin flock (not mixed breeds)
    a mixed cock, looks to have old english in it
    cochin cockerel looks to be a birchin

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by