Another round of What kind of chickens do I have?

BrandyF

Hatching
Mar 11, 2015

Got these 2 at TSC on Sunday. They are bigger than the California whites we got at the same time. Their wings are turning white and they have little white tail feathers, bare feet & legs, and they each have the startings of a comb. Any ideas? Thanks all! :)

Here's a better pick of the second one. As of yesterday, their names were Elsa and Anna, but 5 year olds change their minds quite often, so not sure what their names will be tomorrow. :lol:

If they are bigger they might be cornish rocks or if not could be leghorns or white rocks. Or theres others to cant think of their names.

Got these 2 at TSC on Sunday. They are bigger than the California whites we got at the same time. Their wings are turning white and they have little white tail feathers, bare feet & legs, and they each have the startings of a comb. Any ideas? Thanks all!
smile.png

You asked, "Any ideas?" That leaves the field wide open for my wild speculation.
lau.gif

TSC sometimes uses Privett Hatchery. It seems like they don't label the chicks at TSC, which means it could conceivably be any of the white chicks that Privett hatches. (But we have no idea if the chicks came from Privett Hatchery, just to be clear.)

So, besides the breeds mentioned by the previous posters, which I agree with, btw, there are a couple of other possibilities.

If your chick develops a random black spot or two or nine, then your chick could be an AustraWhite (Australorp/Leghorn cross)--a white chick with just a few black spots. My AustraWhites had a couple black spots at hatch and developed more as the months went by. So since it looks like your chick doesn't have any black spots at all, this is a long shot. But if your chick develops a couple in the next few months, an AustraWhite is a possibility. Plus my AustraWhites were a little bit bigger than White Leghorns.

Also! Privett hatches Rhode Island Whites. It's not something they send out all the time to TSCs, but if Privett had a few extra from the hatch, they might send those few Rhode Island Whites along with the usual shipment out to TSC. ETA: Rhode Island Whites always have rose combs, so it can't be a RI White.

But, yeah, most likely it's a White Plymouth Rock.

I don't have a clue how to tell a Rhode Island White from a White Plymouth Rock, even when adults, unless it's shape. But for the APA to make them separate breeds, there's got to be something that distinguishes each from the other. Rose comb on the RI White.

Last edited:
I don't have a clue how to tell a Rhode Island White from a White Plymouth Rock, even when adults, unless it's shape. But for the APA to make them separate breeds, there's got to be something that distinguishes each from the other.

I don't know a hatchery that sells a true Rhode Island White (R.I. White).
Most sell a production type white chicken that they call a R.I. White much like they call a production type red chicken a R.I. Red.

A real R.I. White will look the same as a exhibition quality Rose Comb Rhode Island Red (R.I. Red) but only White in color. The R.I. White and the Rose Comb R.I. Red have the same APA standard even though they are two completely different breeds.

Back
Top Bottom