Chevysmom

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2021
NW Maryland
Some of you may have read my recent post- we lost one of our khaki hens last week. She was egg bound, stopped eating, didn’t want to move around, tail bobbing. We did all the things were supposed to do (isolated her, warm soaks, calcium gluc, etc). She died after taking her to the vet and having a soft shell egg removed that had adhered to her internally and caused an infection. Our ducks get oyster shell offered daily.

We now have another hen that is egg bound. We attributed it to grieving the loss of her sister but now I’m beginning to think it’s possibly the avian flu. She hasn’t laid for 3 days, started bobbing her tail yesterday and has attempted to lay for two days. It’s eerily familiar just one week after the death of our other hen. Other than being egg bound and tail bobbing she seems normal. It’s nearly impossible to keep the wild birds out of their pen as our ducks free range throughout the day. We are taking her to the vet today.

Has anyone experienced the avian flu with your flock? Anything we can do?

Some of you may have read my recent post- we lost one of our khaki hens last week. She was egg bound, stopped eating, didn’t want to move around, tail bobbing. We did all the things were supposed to do (isolated her, warm soaks, calcium gluc, etc). She died after taking her to the vet and having a soft shell egg removed that had adhered to her internally and caused an infection. Our ducks get oyster shell offered daily.

We now have another hen that is egg bound. We attributed it to grieving the loss of her sister but now I’m beginning to think it’s possibly the avian flu. She hasn’t laid for 3 days, started bobbing her tail yesterday and has attempted to lay for two days. It’s eerily familiar just one week after the death of our other hen. Other than being egg bound and tail bobbing she seems normal. It’s nearly impossible to keep the wild birds out of their pen as our ducks free range throughout the day. We are taking her to the vet today.

Has anyone experienced the avian flu with your flock? Anything we can do?
Get your duck liquid Calcium Gluconate and start giving her 1 ml until she lays. ASAP is what needs to be done. Being egg bound is not AI.
@Aunt Angus has experience with this.

Back
Top Bottom