Another sick eye thread, and my first eye issue -to deal with

Harmony Hill

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 13, 2015
Willow Springs NC
Hey everyone, My Dolly came up with a swollen, shut eye Sunday. I brought her in, used a warm compress to loosen the gunk so her eye would open. Washed her eye out w/vetracyn eye wash and vetracyn gel. Then off to Tractor Supply for Tylan. Got that in her eye two times yesterday and then this am. By yesterday afternoon she was at least out of her run. This am her eye was still shut, but with less gunk and not closed shut. I am worried about her eating and drinking. She shows zero interest. From what I have read, I think I need to remove her so I can monitor her eating and drinking. I tried to leave her in her run by herself but she was too worried. I do have a vet friend that has chickens too and I have a call into her. Is there anything I can do to help my Dolly? OK to put her in a dog crate in the garage? I am so new, I am kinda worrying myself - you know? :)

Feed her a scrambled egg daily. A small amount of buttermilk may entice her to drink, and it contains probiotics. . Then give her her regular feed and clean water daily. For the eye, you make want to make sure any pus or drainage is cleaned out, and either Vetericyn Eye Gel, Terramycin ointment, or plain Neosporin Ointment can be applied inside the eye twice daily.

Thank you so much. She looks and acts a 'little' better this am. Her eye is still closed but not crusty and what looked like puss pockets under her eye are gone. I did warm compress last night and she was able to open it on her own, but really did not want to. I gave her fresh water, yogurt mixed w/scrambled eggs and the shell from the egg. She was a little interested in the yogurt and egg. And, she was a little more active this am. She did pretty good in her crate in the garage.
Really worried about her water and food intake. maybe this afternoon she will have eaten more.

Back
Top Bottom