Another Silkie. Sold to me as a 1 year old hen.

Ren

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2017
However "she" just kicked my cochin Roo's butt. Just want to make sure I got the right bird. And if it is a she is that common? How can I make the introduction smoother?

mPbxswS.jpg

6HKRPfv.jpg

She is a she. .....how have you approached integration so far? How many birds are in your flock, is she the only new bird, how much space are they in?

I just put her in the yard and watched her. I havent had a problem introducing new birds yet. The rest of my flock are much younger birds. I introduced her with a young D'Uccle rooster who she had never met before today. The new rooster had been with two of my hens before, and he showed off and pestered them a bit but there was no major issues. The were introduced about a week ago to my origional Cochin Rooster and Hen with no issues. Their yard is about 15ftX12ft. and they get access to the much larger yard during the day when the dogs are inside. All together their are 2 Cochin pullets, A Cochin Cockerel, a D'Uccle pullet and cockerel. This Silkie hen is older then all the others, and so far the only new addition to cause any problems.

Not surprising. Silkie hens, and yes it looks like a hen, can be aggressive with other bantams, especially if they are sort of contemplating brooding...and many of them are almost always contemplating brooding, brooding, or just getting over brooding. My best brooding Silkies can be pretty temperamental gals.

Bantam Cochins are generally more docile and can get pecked back by a hormonal Silkie. D'Uccles are smaller birds yet. The Silkie's size is making her feel more dominant too.

You've also got a young squirrely rooster which can set a hen's "teeth on edge."

Keep an eye on things. If anyone seems unduly stressed or being barred from food or water, intervene. Give hiding places for everyone and separate feed/water stations so that they don't have to compete at the same place.

If your Silkie remains a holy terror, put her in a quiet nest box with some eggs. Likely she will settle down and brood. Or, a time out may help her feel less dominant...although you'll probably have to go through it all again once she joins the flock...so it's probably best to let them settle the flock order now unless your younger birds are really too young to be with the Silkie.

Most of the time, my cranky ladies settle, usually on some eggs.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom