Another update on mouse situation

Bryce Thomas

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
So after studying the mice for about 1-2 weeks, I learned a lot more about them. At 8PM each night I would turn off all the lights in the coop and they would come out, there are 2 mice total. I would just sit infront of the feeder 1 foot away from it and they didn't mind me at all until I moved, I would just sit still then the 2 came out on and ran around and did mouse stuff. I noticed even without the weight they would never be able to get into the treadle feeder, but would simply run around it, and on top of it. They never ate any feed or drank any water. It seems like they are around simply because the coop provides shelter and that's it. Any ideas? (They don't seem to be eating anything, and there is no feed spill either, my treadle feeders dont allow any feed to be spilled out either.)

Also I learned that when I opened one of the feeders and there was a mouse in it 2 weeks ago was because one of the chickens opened it to eat then the mouse went in but didn't leave before the chicken stepped off, trapping the mouse inside

Also one more thing, I always had a light on in the coop if the birds wanted to eat or drink, and I learned some of the naked necks would eat and stand on the treadle feeder and the mice would eat when they stood on it, last night I turned off the light and the NN would sleep all night and the mice would never be able to get any feed.

(last night some feral cat stood outside the coop while I was sitting in front of the feeder learning about the mice behavior, the cat was pretty friendly and even let me pet her, I like the feral cats because they control the mice population, and yes my birds are safe from any predators especially cats : ) )

PXL_20211122_000105403.jpg

PXL_20211122_000111905.jpg

Those are my 2 treadle feeders, they have the weights on the lid. Even without the weights the mice still could not get in, with the light off and the chickens all asleep and roosting they never set foot on the feeders throughout the whole night and the mice seemed to never be able to get any feed that night. Maybe I won the war with the mice?

We have found that mice are never eradicated and its a constant battle. We dispatch them whenever we can because they carry disease and destroy property. They caused $1800 damage to our truck and can cause house fires by chewing wiring. They are no good even though they’re cute.

We have found that mice are never eradicated and its a constant battle. We dispatch them whenever we can because they carry disease and destroy property. They caused $1800 damage to our truck and can cause house fires by chewing wiring. They are no good even though they’re cute.
Oh yes, speak the truth. mice and rats can look cute but once you see the holes and wood they destroyed they suddenly are not worth having around... I always thought "if people have roof rats just get a cat?" now i know its a constant battle

So after studying the mice for about 1-2 weeks, I learned a lot more about them. At 8PM each night I would turn off all the lights in the coop and they would come out, there are 2 mice total. I would just sit infront of the feeder 1 foot away from it and they didn't mind me at all until I moved, I would just sit still then the 2 came out on and ran around and did mouse stuff. I noticed even without the weight they would never be able to get into the treadle feeder, but would simply run around it, and on top of it. They never ate any feed or drank any water. It seems like they are around simply because the coop provides shelter and that's it. Any ideas? (They don't seem to be eating anything, and there is no feed spill either, my treadle feeders dont allow any feed to be spilled out either.)

Also I learned that when I opened one of the feeders and there was a mouse in it 2 weeks ago was because one of the chickens opened it to eat then the mouse went in but didn't leave before the chicken stepped off, trapping the mouse inside

Also one more thing, I always had a light on in the coop if the birds wanted to eat or drink, and I learned some of the naked necks would eat and stand on the treadle feeder and the mice would eat when they stood on it, last night I turned off the light and the NN would sleep all night and the mice would never be able to get any feed.

(last night some feral cat stood outside the coop while I was sitting in front of the feeder learning about the mice behavior, the cat was pretty friendly and even let me pet her, I like the feral cats because they control the mice population, and yes my birds are safe from any predators especially cats : ) )

View attachment 2908040

View attachment 2908042

Those are my 2 treadle feeders, they have the weights on the lid. Even without the weights the mice still could not get in, with the light off and the chickens all asleep and roosting they never set foot on the feeders throughout the whole night and the mice seemed to never be able to get any feed that night. Maybe I won the war with the mice?
Since you said that there are only 2 of the mice that you saw. They could be breeding and have a nest of little baby mice somewhere that you haven't seen yet.

Since you said that there are only 2 of the mice that you saw. They could be breeding and have a nest of little baby mice somewhere that you haven't seen yet.
an hour after I posted that I killed 1 of the mice so there is only 1 now, and it was a female! so if there are babies, they are going to die so thank god for that... I searched everywhere for a nest and there is none, so just 1 mice left then the war is over

an hour after I posted that I killed 1 of the mice so there is only 1 now, and it was a female! so if there are babies, they are going to die so thank god for that... I searched everywhere for a nest and there is none, so just 1 mice left then the war is over
You hope that you didn't overlook a nest. I think that if the other one is the daddy he might still continue to bring food back for them if they would still be too young to venture out on their own. Good luck, and I hope that you can get rid of your mice. My chicken's eat any mice that they see.

My husband will often find nests of baby mice in the hay when he goes to feed the cows. These are designated "cat treats" and he'll swipe them up into a bucket and present them to our outdoor cats to enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom