Another "What gender?" question. Sorry!

So Many Everything

In the Brooder
Oct 11, 2021
I've acquired these two muscovy's by a complete misunderstanding. At first, I thought I had a male and female because of the size difference between them. The previous 'owner' said they were a week old (pic in the plastic container). One was larger and seemed to have a more oval head. I doubt they were a week old but I've never had muscovy's. Someone else said they think I have 2 females. Now I'm wondering if they are both males! I just can't decide!! I've looked up pic after pic on the internet and have a terrible time comparing the small details. Black or white? I can figure out. Curved beak or not? I can't tell!

Does anyone have any idea? They are now over 2 weeks old. I'm guessing even up to 3 or 4 maybe?

Them at supposedly a week. I thought maybe the one in the back was the male and the front one a female. It's hard to see the size difference though

Supposedly a week.jpeg
supposedly a week 2.jpeg

Currently, they are maybe a week older than previous pics. It's possible that they are even different ages or growing differently. I have no idea.

I think female in front,
IMG_4677.jpeg
IMG_4685.jpeg

2 weeks?.png
IMG_4689.jpeg
IMG_4664.jpeg

Thank you for your help!!!

Attachments

• 2 weeks?.png
    2 weeks?.png
    4 MB · Views: 4
The sex difference in size of Muscovy ducks is apparent from about 8 weeks old. But there can be variation between individual male ducklings and female ducklings so watch yours for a little longer. I am attaching weight charts I found on line that illustrate differences.

Attachments

• Female weight for age.png
    Female weight for age.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Male weight for age chart.png
    Male weight for age chart.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 4
The sex difference in size of Muscovy ducks is apparent from about 8 weeks old. But there can be variation between individual male ducklings and female ducklings so watch yours for a little longer. I am attaching weight charts I found on line that illustrate differences.
Thank you for this! I do see that both tend to weigh about the same at this point. It would help if I knew for sure their ages. They were just sitting in a box on the porch when I arrived so I have no other reference other than the person messaging me saying they were a week old. I'll keep watching the weight. Thank you!

They sure are cute. I'd venture to say closer to 3 weeks of age, but who is male or female it may take a few more weeks before you start seeing a significant difference in size if you have a drake and duck.

I will say this though I hope you have changed out their feeder those chick feeders are not going to work. They also need a water container they can dunk their heads into to drink.
something similar to this but make the holes large enough they can stick their heads into but not their bodies.
8AFFB8E6-980F-4D46-B4BB-0F9C04A19524.jpeg

A little hard to tell from the pictures, but the one duckling with the black cap that runs into a line going halfway down it's neck to me at least looks at least 1/3 larger then the other duckling. How do they look size wise in person next to each other?

They sure are cute. I'd venture to say closer to 3 weeks of age, but who is male or female it may take a few more weeks before you start seeing a significant difference in size if you have a drake and duck.

I will say this though I hope you have changed out their feeder those chick feeders are not going to work. They also need a water container they can dunk their heads into to drink.
something similar to this but make the holes large enough they can stick their heads into but not their bodies. View attachment 2862339
Thank you for the pic. Yes, I have been changing out containers regularly to see what works best. I am using something that looks similar to your pic now. I didn't expect them really so I've been slowly figuring things out.

A little hard to tell from the pictures, but the one duckling with the black cap that runs into a line going halfway down it's neck to me at least looks at least 1/3 larger then the other duckling. How do they look size wise in person next to each other?
one is bigger. When I picked got them, the guy said they were a week old but the size difference was very clear.

Back
Top Bottom