1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another "when to put the chicks outside" question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by happyhens, May 21, 2008.

1. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    The chicks will be 5 weeks old this Thursday. They are currently still in their brooder in the house, but without the heat lamp. They are pretty well feathered out by now, just a little chick fluff left. There are 23 of them, 10 bantams and 13 standard sized breeds. Temps during the day for the next week range between 65*F.-80*F., with night temps down to 47*F. tonight, but warming up into the 50's and 60's at night from there. Will they be ok outside (in the coop) without a heat lamp?

2. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes, especially if you have weened them off the light, but they should be fine. I put mine on the ground at 3 weeks with nothing but a barrel all the time, and I live in Michigan. The big thing is keeping them from getting wet. A little trick that works on that is to mist them with water while they are still in the brooder a little bit, as it will get their glands going, and they will preen there feathers so when they hit the ground, the moisture won't be as big of a deal. Good luck!

3. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I would keep a heat lamp on at night. 47 to 50 is cold for 5 week olds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by