Another year full of cockerels....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silkiekeeper, Aug 7, 2019.

1. silkiekeeper

silkiekeeper Songster

May 16, 2018
    SE Minnesota
    My Coop
    I think we need to start a #RooedToo movement.

2. MROO

MROO Crossing the Road

Nah ... it's that little "angel" on our shoulder. Everybody has one, mine just happens to be one of Murphy's cousins .. y'know, of "Murphy's Law" fame? Don't get me wrong; I'm glad to have him there. I just sometimes wish he didn't have such a twisted sense of humor!
    :barnie

3. UThobbyfarmer

UThobbyfarmer Crowing

May 29, 2013
    Utah
    I think you get whatever you don't want. When I want some new roosters I get pullets. When I desperately need hens I get roos. I have the worst luck :lau

I have a group of 12 chicks I'm growing out. They're only 6 weeks but it looks like mostly hens with a few roos to choose from. The tide might be turning...

4. goldysgirl

goldysgirl Songster

May 1, 2010
    My bantams from there ended up being large fowl

5. silkiekeeper

silkiekeeper Songster

May 16, 2018
    SE Minnesota
    My Coop
    Oooooh....could you send that tide my way? :bow

6. MROO

MROO Crossing the Road

The only sexed bantams I've seen at TSC or other feed stores were supposed to be autosexing. The day-olds are just too small to vent sex without doing major internal damage - which is why mast of the major hatcheries sell them straight-run, too. Oh well, I guess the cockerels stand a better chance with us, anyway ...

7. goldysgirl

goldysgirl Songster

May 1, 2010
    All my birds this year were straight run. I thought I had almost all male silkies, but ended up being almost all female. Even the guesses I received on backyard chickend had it backwards haha.

8. RoosterML

RoosterML Songster

Maybe but still a full freezer!!

9. RoosterML

RoosterML Songster

Based on scientific study done by chickenmadscientist.com Higher incubator temps equals more Roosters. Lower temps equal more pullets. See problem solved!!!
    :plbb Well not really I kinda just made that up but it sounded good while typing.:oops:;)

10. goldysgirl

goldysgirl Songster

May 1, 2010
    All of my silkies except for a couple were rowdy sparring little monsters, many with bigger combs and wattles, 6 out of 7 ended up being girls! I couldn't believe it and they had me fooled until the rooster started breeding them and they started laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: