Another year full of cockerels....

I wonder too if Silkies, Nankins, and other bantams tend to favor males because they are bred for show. Ornamental breeders tend to prefer male plumage, don't they? Not something I have any experience with, just wondering.

My current flock is too young to personally prove my theories about chick ratios, we are in First Egg mode right now, and also in the process of moving, so I won't allow any brooding. (Much to the chagrin of my lone Rhode Island Red, who is determined to show me what Easter Egger/RIR chicks look like even though she just started laying last week!) However, I keep 3 roosters with 14 hens for now, with the intention of keeping back or purchasing 1 or 2 more boys and the same for girls after the move. They get along famously, even though my Easter Egger roo is fairly aggressive (the Jersey Giant keeps him in line). Both 1 1/2 year olds (the JG and the EE) are sexually active, and are gentle lovers to the hens that have matured so far. Lots of fertile eggs from my Black Copper Marans and my RIR, and they are both new layers. My youngest roo, a Marans, is 4 months old, and he will be a very respectable rooster (handsome, sexed up, wicked smart, quiet, cautious, attentive, and obedient to the JG flock leader). The girls seem happy, but I know my JG roo wants another male his size, he loves to display and throw his weight around, and my EE can't compete with him. Boys need an outlet for their aggression, and if the hens didn't like that, they would breed it out. (Can't say I blame them, I like alpha males too!:love)

Last edited:
I have never had a roo since 014 when I started buying sexed chickens from My Pet Chicken, day old hatchlings, NOT auto-sexing. Have never received a male! I have 18 hens now, every one a different breed (because Allah loves wondrous variety :)).

Normally I have a larger percentage of pullets but in the last year I've had 3 hatches that turned out to be mostly cockerels.

I wonder if anyone has done studies to see if there are variable factors that might influence chick sex. Thinking about things like ph, small variations in temperature, season, even phase of the moon.
There have been studies but none have borne out to have any influence other than the ZW chromosomes the hen contributes.
If there were a way to influence sex, commercial egg producers would have found it by now. Then they wouldn't have to grind up 6.5 billion male chicks a year.

Last edited:
I'm just going to vent here for a bit if that's okay. Nearly every hatch I've had this year has been mostly cockerels. I had 6 hatch in March, 1 was a pullet. I had another hatch of 6 in June, and 1 appears to be a pullet. What am I doing wrong??? Shouldn't it be a 50/50 ratio at least? I have very bad chicken karma.
This may sound crazy but I use the egg shape method, my Dad swore by it and it worked for me this year, All 6 Eggs that hatched were hens. Coincidence? have no idea but worth a try. The female fertile eggs are rounder, the males have a pointier end. Curious to know if that has any merritt!

I wonder too if Silkies, Nankins, and other bantams tend to favor males because they are bred for show. Ornamental breeders tend to prefer male plumage, don't they? Not something I have any experience with, just wondering.

If Nankins were bred to favor a gender, it would have been towards hens, as their primary function (and the trait that literally saved the breed from extinction) was to brood quail, pheasant and any other small game bird that The Lord of the Manor" desired to hunt, that season. From what I've seen, so far, there are too few left to really see a trend in either direction, right now - and most of us breeding them are desperate for more hens. If science (or some slick "Old Wife") could come up with a way to skew toward females, I'm IN!

I also attempted hatching babies many, many years ago. It was fun and an education for my then young children. But, I ended up with 5 roosters to about 6 hens and my husband said no more! But, Last year I let a hen sit on a fertile egg and, low and behold, another rooster emerged! My neighbor took the rooster. I now have only hens and they don't seem to mind not having the rooster around. One hen will become the matriarch and take care of the others (I have a total of 14).

Back
Top Bottom