Ant Infestation

team_realtree

Songster
14 Years
Jun 28, 2009
What can I use that won't harm my chickens that will effectively get rid of an ant problem? The ants stay at the seam on the ceiling where the top 2x4 meets the plywood ceiling. I would assume they have gotten down to the floor but my 8 chickens would make quick work of cleaning them up.

So what should I use? Some raid and just leave the coop door open for the day to let it air out?

Hi. I Use De.it Rid My Coop Of Ants.sprinkle On The Ants. And Poof They'r Gone If You Can Find Where They Climbing To Your Coop Ceiling,from The Ground, Put Some De Right There. Its Ok For The Chickens. Just Be Sure Its Food Grade. DONT USE RAID!

Last edited:
Answer #1- its in a corn field so there is no electricity
Answer #2- very confusing but I can't sprinkle anything because they are on the ceiling if that makes sense
wink.png

Orange Guard is what I use to spray the crevices with for insects/ants in my coops. It doesn't take much, just a light coat. It is completely safe around food, humans, and pets. I do shut the birds outside while spraying and it's drying. This was highly recommended to me by speckledhen, a very knowledgeable member here at BYC. It is available at Ace Hardware online. They will ship it free to your closest store.

http://www.acehardware.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=orange guard&origkw=orange guard&sr=1

Quote:
You actually CAN dust DE on the ceiling (wear a dust mask!) if you want to, by putting some in the toe of an old sock (no holes!) and using it as a powder-puff to pat at the surface you're trying to dust.

Frankly, unless they are carpenter ants or fire ants I would not worry about them, just try to avert your eyes if they annoy you
tongue.png
. Although, do check carefully for any signs you've got wood starting to rot up there -- they might be telling you something improtant.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

i've heard from several people that peppermint Oil (not the candies) deters ants. You could try putting some oil (maybe with some water and shake it really well) in a sprayer bottle and then spraying the affected area. Plus, it might make your coop smell like a doo doo candy store!

Try a chalk line where they're coming in??

Honestly, we are overrun with ants this summer - - inside and out - - so it's a constant battle to keep them in check without endangering the chickens. If they're not too much of a nuisance I'd try the chalk line. I have also rubbed DE along the edges/walls of the coop with my hands, and this works pretty well when it's dry out.

I have also spent some time in the coops caulking to keep those cracks sealed, but only a little at a time so the fumes dry before bedtime.

(I totally agree with Pat re. watching to make sure nothing major is afoot with the buggers.)

Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom