Ant Treatment That Is Safe to Use Around Chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by citychickinthecountry, Nov 21, 2010.

1. citychickinthecountry

citychickinthecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2009
    Gainesville, Florida
    I have a water supply (water pipe) right outside of my coop that fire ants have taken a liking to. I'm worried about the ants biting me, my kids, or the chickens. The ants are about 5 feet from the coop door and right in the area where the chickens love to start pecking the ground and lay to sun or take their dust baths when I let them out to roam the yard. This is not an area that I can really fence or keep the chickens away from easily. [​IMG]

Does anyone know of some chicken-safe ant treatment that I can use? I don't want to use granules because I'm worried the chickens will eat it.

2. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I use orange oil. I've also used Amdro, but covered it with a bucket or something so that the birds can't get to it.

Good luck, I hate fire ants!

3. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Just go buy a big box of instant grits and place it in the nests and along the floors its a 100% fool proof for any ants they will eat the grit swell up and go boom. and is safe for chickens.

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Dish soap and water or an anteater
    [​IMG]

5. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

I haven't tried it, but I think DE will also work. Just get the "food grade".

Ed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by