Anti Naked Neck Society

Which you prefer, Naked Neck or Buff Orpingtons?

• Total voters
Dorkings!! :love Dorkings are the best! My absolute favorite breed! Sweetest, cuddliest, dorkiest birds there are. šŸ„°

I'm also glad I'm not the only one who thinks those naked neck chicks are the cutest! šŸ˜
Dorking really are great birds! My little hen was a wee bit crazy but I really enjoyed her personality.

Yeah I may have to try them one day! I loved my Australorps! I just recently had to put my last one down because she just was not doing well, think she was sick, and was getting picked on. It was sad as I really loved her and she loved chicks! Any and all chicks LOL so good with them!! Iā€™d love more Australorps. Meanwhile my Partridge Rock has zero personality unlike my BR I had so idk if Iā€™d get another Partridge. And the Orps while sweet are kind of dumb :oops: absolutely love my Leghorn and Delaware though and while not technically a ā€œbreed,ā€ my Easter Eggers have been amazing. Iā€™ve had 3 and then 2 that were half EE haha and I have a couple that are 1/4 EE now. šŸ˜
Im getting a silver penciled rock

Dorking really are great birds! My little hen was a wee bit crazy but I really enjoyed her personality.

Aww, haha! I have one that's a little bit crazy, too. She's just a bit high-strung and kinda sketchy about people, unlike the rest of them, and she likes to sleep in the rafters of the coop with the loony Easter-eggers every night. :gig She's a bit odd all over, though, because she's also a scrawny little thing while the rest of my Dorkings are big, fat gals with laid back personalities. :love

Here in Panama, Turkens, Naked-Necks, whatever you wish to call them, are very common. They deal with the year-round high heat and humidity very well and are considered very healthy, sturdy birds that lay well and have a far less likelihood to develop reproductive disorders than their store-bought counterparts.
Genetics and longevity don't much seem to matter to the breeders that supply live chicks to the feed stores here; typically half are dead before they've seen 2 months of age after you're countless sleepless nights attempting to save them from death. Of the half that live to POL, you'll lose another ~10% to reproductive disorders before having seen your first egg from the pullet, another 10% will die within the year due to reproductive disorders, and the remaining hens often die of cancer before seeing their third birthday.
I'll take a naked-necker that's been home-hatched (either incubator or broody hen) any day of the week over a store-bought bird that will cause me constant worry, doctoring, expense of medications to keep her alive, and the expense of heart and money.
I realize you were looking for hate towards Turkens, and I agree they're some funky-looking birds, but when you receive nothing but pleasure in the raising of them, you quickly learn to ignore their looks and enjoy their personality, health and eggs. (Oh, and they make for a decent food-in-the-freezer bird too.)

Genetics and longevity don't much seem to matter to the breeders that supply live chicks to the feed stores here; typically half are dead before they've seen 2 months of age after you're countless sleepless nights attempting to save them from death. Of the half that live to POL, you'll lose another ~10% to reproductive disorders before having seen your first egg from the pullet, another 10% will die within the year due to reproductive disorders, and the remaining hens often die of cancer before seeing their third birthday.

Sounds a lot like the high-production red sexlink and egg layer breed strains in the U.S. :hmm I'd say most at least live to point of lay here, but the rest is spot on. All but just a few of the ones I had over the years died in their third year or sooner. It seems to me that if they live past 3 years of age, you've gotten lucky. Longevity is important to me, so I don't buy them anymore and haven't in a long time.

when you receive nothing but pleasure in the raising of them, you quickly learn to ignore their looks and enjoy their personality, health and eggs.

I agree wholeheartedly! :love

Here in Panama, Turkens, Naked-Necks, whatever you wish to call them, are very common. They deal with the year-round high heat and humidity very well and are considered very healthy, sturdy birds that lay well and have a far less likelihood to develop reproductive disorders than their store-bought counterparts.
I'll take a naked-necker that's been home-hatched (either incubator or broody hen) any day of the week over a store-bought bird that will cause me constant worry, doctoring, expense of medications to keep her alive, and the expense of heart and money.
I realize you were looking for hate towards Turkens, and I agree they're some funky-looking birds, but when you receive nothing but pleasure in the raising of them, you quickly learn to ignore their looks and enjoy their personality, health and eggs. (Oh, and they make for a decent food-in-the-freezer bird too.)
I never knew about the problems that Turken-Owners and their feathered friends have to face!

Back
Top Bottom