Medicated Feed vs. Growth of Chicks?

I have used medicated feed feed before and saw a difference?

• YES

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • NO

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
@beneduck14

Have you decided as to whether you will be splitting chicks into small groups during the feeding trial? Also, has anyone explained how you can analyze data to generate numbers you can talk about and most others would agree on?

Treat following as light reading, at first. Your data would be of the independent / unpaired sample type.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Student's_t-test

A point I hinted at regarding, if treatments are different, is which is better. At this point all parties assume that if their is a difference, then the Amprollium laced diet will promote superior performance. See link below regarding one-tailed versus two-tailed t-test.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-_and_two-tailed_tests

Read the stuff lightly before going to bed. Then hit it again first thing in the morning. It will start to make sense.

The way most were have been talking is you are talking about a one-tailed t-test.

The way I worded things we are talking about a two-tailed t-test.

PS
I am setting up a little experiment myself where goal is to collect feces produced at night. Mine will have three treatments and only three roosters. I have a way to get at replication that makes so somebody might agree with my results.

@beneduck14

Have you decided as to whether you will be splitting chicks into small groups during the feeding trial? Also, has anyone explained how you can analyze data to generate numbers you can talk about and most others would agree on?

Treat following as light reading, at first. Your data would be of the independent / unpaired sample type.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Student's_t-test

A point I hinted at regarding, if treatments are different, is which is better. At this point all parties assume that if their is a difference, then the Amprollium laced diet will promote superior performance. See link below regarding one-tailed versus two-tailed t-test.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-_and_two-tailed_tests

Read the stuff lightly before going to bed. Then hit it again first thing in the morning. It will start to make sense.

The way most were have been talking is you are talking about a one-tailed t-test.

The way I worded things we are talking about a two-tailed t-test.

PS
I am setting up a little experiment myself where goal is to collect feces produced at night. Mine will have three treatments and only three roosters. I have a way to get at replication that makes so somebody might agree with my results.

I'm just going to do 2 groups, 1 being medicated. I think I will do a fecal too for 2 chicks from each group to show which group has healthier chicks based on the food. Regardless, I can't add any replicates or change my experiment setup because I would have to get many signatures again which took 1 month to get

Generally, getting signatures for addendums should not be too hard. I am actually one who signs for projects like yours on my end. Students I works with study fish, crayfish and snails where hoops a little easier to jump through but no much when you are talking fish.

You will be running a risk for what is called pseudo-replication. That means you will be treating chicks within the same environment (container) as replicates yet the container might be more important than anything else. The ideal is have so each of the containers is considered to be a replicate and you simply take the average performance for all the chicks in that container as what you use as part of the number crunching. To give a little more strength against that you might consider marking chicks so you know them as individuals. This approach does not guard against all the "pseudo" problem but you can briefly explain it as an effort to do so. I have used colored permanent markers which can be a problem in itself unless you can find a paper saying they used it without apparent harm. Other option is using toe punching or wing-bands which I know cause actual pain.

Last edited:
Generally, getting signatures for addendums should not be too hard. I am actually one who signs for projects like yours on my end. Students I works with study fish, crayfish and snails where hoops a little easier to jump through but no much when you are talking fish.

You will be running a risk for what is called pseudo-replication. That means you will be treating chicks within the same environment (container) as replicates yet the container might be more important than anything else. The ideal is have so each of the containers is considered to be a replicate and you simply take the average performance for all the chicks in that container as what you use as part of the number crunching. To give a little more strength against that you might consider marking chicks so you know them as individuals. This approach does not guard against all the "pseudo" problem but you can briefly explain it as an effort to do so. I have used colored permanent markers which can be a problem in itself unless you can find a paper saying they used it without apparent harm. Other option is using toe punching or wing-bands which I know cause actual pain.

Haha no worries, I have already bought leg bands for identification . My school system takes forever to get signatures because we have to schedule a meeting which takes weeks and then have to find a willing chairman from INTEL to sign off. Then a veterinarian has to review it and sign which takes another week.

One of these days you will have to employ group e-mails with walking a document through. I work at a university so have a good handle on how slow a bureaucracy can be if you let it.

Back
Top Bottom