Antibiotic for ducks?

Fashion bootie, just for good measure
1f601.png

Honestly, the bumble itself is looking better every time. I cannot get anything out of it. The warmth and swelling is down a bit more too. But she is just super limping, worse than I have seen another duck with a worse bumble walk, if that makes sense. She seems weak? Thanks so much for the advice. I'm just not sure what to do next.

Fashion bootie, just for good measure
1f601.png

Honestly, the bumble itself is looking better every time. I cannot get anything out of it. The warmth and swelling is down a bit more too. But she is just super limping, worse than I have seen another duck with a worse bumble walk, if that makes sense. She seems weak? Thanks so much for the advice. I'm just not sure what to do next.
You might want to read these:

Also read this link:
Source: http://hari.ca/avian-care/health-monitoring/symptoms-treatment-bumblefoot-parrots/

This picture is from there:

-Kathy

Thanks @casportpony. I have read and reread those (I tend to obsess). We may be at the really cutting it open stage. I have done some digging one other time (different duck) and gotten a bunch of the goo out, this seems to have just soft, bleeding, skin over it. I'm just not sure even if I get anything out, the infection hasn't spread? Is the next sten just the vet?

Last edited:
Thanks @casportpony . I have read and reread those (I tend to obsess). We may be at the really cutting it open stage. I have done some digging one other time (different duck) and gotten a bunch of the goo out, this seems to have just soft, bleeding, skin over it. I'm just not sure even if I get anything out, the infection hasn't spread? Is the next sten just the vet?
I know vets aren't cheap, but it might be best to see one sooner rather than later.

-Kathy

I know vets aren't cheap, but it might be best to see one sooner rather than later.

-Kathy

Next question - how long would it take a duck to succumb to this foot scenario? We are keeping up with treating her, and the bumble itself is gone, with no swelling or lump there. But she is still not walking well. If the infection has gotten into her system, would she be getting better? Opinions @Amiga, @Miss Lydia too?

A good vet can help.

Some of my other thoughts are that her nerves could be irritated from the problem, and that can take a while to settle down. St. John's wort can help with nerve damage from injuries (it sure helped me after a nasty ankle sprain . . . felt like a wasp sting . . . the St. John's wort helped quite a bit . . . topical ointment).

-Kathy

Next question - how long would it take a duck to succumb to this foot scenario? We are keeping up with treating her, and the bumble itself is gone, with no swelling or lump there. But she is still not walking well. If the infection has gotten into her system, would she be getting better? Opinions @Amiga, @Miss Lydia too?

I would think that if the infection had spread that she would be sick, so if she isn't sick, and doesn't start limping more, I don't think you have to worry about her dying.

Can you post a video of her walking?

-Kathy

@casportpony
Hope this works!

Observations. I let her out in the pasture with the rest of the flock yesterday while I was out there and could keep an eye on her. She could not keep up at all and was resorting to hopping on one foot at times, then rested in the woods. Our rotten gander also targeted her several times while I was out there. I brought her in for a Epsom soak, then a swim in the tub for about 45 minutes. She walked much better after that, barely a limp. So I'm curious if part of the problem is weakness? She has been up in the pen with 2 sisters for 2 weeks, and spends most of her time resting/lying down or on one foot. Her left ankle was barely warmer than her right yesterday, and only a small bit swollen. Thanks so much for all your help.

I will also try the topical sjw if I can find it today @Amiga

I need to get to the root of the bumblefoot. Several of our ducks are having issues (none serious like this) and I have read and tried so many things and it's so frustrating.

Last edited:
@casportpony
Hope this works!

Observations. I let her out in the pasture with the rest of the flock yesterday while I was out there and could keep an eye on her. She could not keep up at all and was resorting to hopping on one foot at times, then rested in the woods. Our rotten gander also targeted her several times while I was out there. I brought her in for a Epsom soak, then a swim in the tub for about 45 minutes. She walked much better after that, barely a limp. So I'm curious if part of the problem is weakness? She has been up in the pen with 2 sisters for 2 weeks, and spends most of her time resting/lying down or on one foot. Her left ankle was barely warmer than her right yesterday, and only a small bit swollen. Thanks so much for all your help.

I will also try the topical sjw if I can find it today @Amiga

I need to get to the root of the bumblefoot. Several of our ducks are having issues (none serious like this) and I have read and tried so many things and it's so frustrating.
here, I embedded it for you.
big_smile.png

0.jpg

She does look pretty lame still, so I would keep her penned up until she looked better. Might be beneficial to her if you could keep her pen drier, and maybe wrap it after a long soak and proper cleaning?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom