Antibiotic for Respiratory Issues?

Acaskran

Hatching
Jun 8, 2020
I have some hens showing signs of respiratory issues. Just wet wheezing breath right now, I don't hear anything in their lungs. I thought it was poor ventilation, but I just found much more advanced signs in a rooster that my husband brought home from another farm, so I think the rooster brought it with him.

I have about 20 birds in my coop right now, including chicks less than a day old. I found that I an give Pennchlor 64, but I don't want to have to isolate every bird that shows signs of illness, I simply don't have the set up for that, so that would mean I'd have to dose my whole flock, right? Can baby chicks have it?

Tylan 50 seems to be sold out everywhere.

Is there a way to administer Pennchlor 64 only to select birds or does it need to be a drench? Is there another antibiotic I can give orally to individual birds?

If you are not sure what disease it is, antibiotics can do more harm then good.
Try to contact the previous owner of the rooster and ask him if he knows whatever this snotty problem is.

I had 5 week old chicks who had snotty noses and they have grown over it. All 6 of them. Within 1-6 weeks.

If you are not sure what disease it is, antibiotics can do more harm then good.
Try to contact the previous owner of the rooster and ask him if he knows whatever this snotty problem is.

I had 5 week old chicks who had snotty noses and they have grown over it. All 6 of them. Within 1-6 weeks.
I'm just nervous because the first hen that showed signs is still in quarantine and hasn't improved at all in about 4 days, and another hen now has it. I am worried about not doing anything and losing the whole flock. I will text her today though and see how hers are doing.

Most respiratory diseases can last a lifetime, affecting your healthy birds. I would NOT put the newbies with your other birds (unless already exposed). I’d honestly give them back because the seller sold you sick birds that can potentially kill your flock. Before giving antibiotics, it’s best to get testing done, whether it’s by a necropsy or live testing. Though a necropsy is a LOT for accurate and can give you WAY more results.

List of testing and necropsy labs for poultry & other animals:

What exactly are the symptoms? Do you see any nasal drainage, eye drainage or bubbles in an eye, swollen eyelid, gasping, sneezing? There are a number of respiratory diseases which can be bacterial, viral, or from mold fungus. Only bacterial diseases such as mycoplasma (MG) or coryza would respond to antibiotics. If you suspect MG, tylosin (tylan) soluble powder can be put in water for 5 days at 1 tsp per gallon. Only treat the sick chickens, not everyone. MG usually causes bubbles in eyes, eyelid swelling, sneezing, and an ill bird. Here is where to find Tylosin:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

Most respiratory diseases can last a lifetime, affecting your healthy birds. I would NOT put the newbies with your other birds (unless already exposed). I’d honestly give them back because the seller sold you sick birds that can potentially kill your flock. Before giving antibiotics, it’s best to get testing done, whether it’s by a necropsy or live testing. Though a necropsy is a LOT for accurate and can give you WAY more results.

List of testing and necropsy labs for poultry & other animals:

From what I have read, live testing is incredible expensive. If one dies, I will certainly send it for necropsy. We took one rooster from a neighbor who had too many, and he's been in the flock for weeks. I isolated him for a bit, but I don't think long enough, although regardless he only started showing symptoms himself yesterday. I know have 3 sick hens although one is mild and one has mostly improved. The third is just as bad as she was 3 days ago when I noticed it.

From what I have read, live testing is incredible expensive. If one dies, I will certainly send it for necropsy. We took one rooster from a neighbor who had too many, and he's been in the flock for weeks. I isolated him for a bit, but I don't think long enough, although regardless he only started showing symptoms himself yesterday. I know have 3 sick hens although one is mild and one has mostly improved. The third is just as bad as she was 3 days ago when I noticed it.
Just keep in mind that most respiratory infections are permanent lifelong chronic diseases, so because of this, if I were you, I’d keep a closed flock- no new birds brought into your flock and no birds leave your flock. I also suggest that you don’t breed to sell chicks or birds to others as you could spread disease. Until you get a necropsy, this is the best thing you can do.

What exactly are the symptoms? Do you see any nasal drainage, eye drainage or bubbles in an eye, swollen eyelid, gasping, sneezing? There are a number of respiratory diseases which can be bacterial, viral, or from mold fungus. Only bacterial diseases such as mycoplasma (MG) or coryza would respond to antibiotics. If you suspect MG, tylosin (tylan) soluble powder can be put in water for 5 days at 1 tsp per gallon. Only treat the sick chickens, not everyone. MG usually causes bubbles in eyes, eyelid swelling, sneezing, and an ill bird. Here is where to find Tylosin:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
Right now for my hens it's just wet breathing. I don't hear anything in their lungs. There was a little sneezing at first but not any more. Nothing with the eyes, no gasping. The breathing is only really bad in the morning, too. The rooster, however, has nasal drainage but his breathing isn't as bad.

Just keep in mind that most respiratory infections are permanent lifelong chronic diseases, so because of this, if I were you, I’d keep a closed flock- no new birds brought into your flock and no birds leave your flock. I also suggest that you don’t breed to sell chicks or birds to others as you could spread disease. Until you get a necropsy, this is the best thing you can do.
I have read this, I had never heard of it before so I'm kicking myself now for being so nonchalant about bringing in a new bird. Will they constantly be getting flare ups from it, or only occasionally when it's triggered?

I have read this, I had never heard of it before so I'm kicking myself now for being so nonchalant about bringing in a new bird. Will they constantly be getting flare ups from it, or only occasionally when it's triggered?
They will get flare ups whenever they feel is something stressful, like molting, an injury, change of season, new flock members, loss of a flock member, etc.

Back
Top Bottom