Antibiotic restrictions January 1, 2017 (USA)

I was at our tractor supply co. yesterday and they had tags next to several items saying because of this they wouldnt be carrying those items after january 1 2017.
I need to go back and get a better look at what all they had tagged to see if i need to stock up on anything.

Just to re-emphasize that any of the products that you buy now will be illegal to use after January 1st without you having the paperwork from a veterinarian showing a valid VFD. To USE not just to buy. This applies to any size operation, even if you only have a single chicken. You can, of course, do what you want. I just wanted to make it clear to everybody reading this thread what the law will be.

Thanks for the link. It’s very helpful. I noticed the restriction also applies to medications given in water, not just feed. I had not seen that before.

I did not see Amprolium (Corid) on that list so most medicated feed should not be affected. If you look at the bottom of that chart which shows which products are affected you’ll see some that are not. I guess Amprolium falls under coccidiostat.

"By January 1, 2017, all medically-important antimicrobials intended for use in feed that are currently available “over-the-counter” will become VFD drugs. Additives such as lasalocid (Bovatec-cattle, Avatec-poultry), monensin (Rumensin-cattle, Coban-poultry), bacitracin, bambermycins (Flavomycin – swine, Gainpro – cattle), and amprolium are not “medically-important” and will not fall under the VFD unless they are used in combination with a VFD drug.".
Quote taken from here: http://animalscience.tamu.edu/2015/...-related-information-for-livestock-producers/

If you read the fine print it did not say antibiotics, the word used was antimicrobials. I’m not technically astute enough to know what an antimicrobial is compared to an antibiotic. That’s why I really appreciate the links that help say it in plain English.

It’s good to know that Corid will still be over-the-counter. No prescription required. To me Corid is by far the most important. While I don’t use medicated feed a lot of people do. As long as the medicine in medicated feed is Amprolium, which it almost always is, it will still be available as normal.

If you read the fine print it did not say antibiotics, the word used was antimicrobials. I’m not technically astute enough to know what an antimicrobial is compared to an antibiotic. That’s why I really appreciate the links that help say it in plain English.

It’s good to know that Corid will still be over-the-counter. No prescription required. To me Corid is by far the most important. While I don’t use medicated feed a lot of people do. As long as the medicine in medicated feed is Amprolium, which it almost always is, it will still be available as normal.
Using microbe instead of biotic certainly may widen the range......maybe vague and probably varied definition of what a microbe is.
Future loop hole for regulation looseness/tightness maybe?

Using microbe instead of biotic certainly may widen the range......maybe vague and probably varied definition of what a microbe is.
Future loop hole for regulation looseness/tightness maybe?

Exactly. If they find that the overuse of amprolium is causing difficulties in treating humans, then they can just make it "medically important" and it's covered.

I don’t know Aart, some of us are more cynical than others. I’m usually extremely cynical about most things. But from reading some of this stuff I think they are looking at two cases in deciding which are covered. Which are most likely to lead to the development of resistant superbugs? Which leaves residue in the carcass that might be considered harmful, they specifically mention carcinogenic? To me this is a common sense approach.

But, yes, they are writing the rules with the definitions and exemptions. There is nothing to stop them from changing any of these whether there is a scientific reason or not.

Antibiotic for fish will not be affected. Use for chickens at your descretion. Amoxicillin is a broad spectrum antibiotic that can be purchased as a fish antibiotic.

Last edited:
JanetMarie- what s the brand name of the fish anti biotic that you mentioned? I want to write it in my chicken journal should ever I need it.

Everyone else- I was at TSC yesterday to pick up a dewormer (more about that on a different thread) and they posted a note stating the the Strike 3 (hygromyacin B)chicken dewormer (pellet size mixed in with feed) falls under this category and will no longer be offered and was on reduced price for quick sale.

Everyone else- I was at TSC yesterday to pick up a dewormer (more about that on a different thread) and they posted a note stating the the Strike 3 (hygromyacin B)chicken dewormer (pellet size mixed in with feed) falls under this category and will no longer be offered and was on reduced price for quick sale.
Probably because it contains anti-biotics.

Back
Top Bottom