Antibiotics, Antifungals, Coccidiostats and Wormers - Preliminary

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by casportpony, Jan 14, 2015.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Tylan Soluble Powder​

I found out how much one teaspoon of Tylan Soluble Powder weighs. [​IMG] According to the veterinary formulary I have it weighs 2.5 to 2.7 grams, which means one teaspoon will have 2500 mg to 2700 mg of tylosin.

1/8 teaspoon = 312 mg to 337.5 mg tylosin.
    1/4 teaspoon = 625 mg to 675 mg tylosin.
    1/3 teaspoon = 833 mg to 900 mg tylosin.
    1/2 teaspoon = 1250 mg to 1350 mg tylosin.

Picture from formulary:
    [​IMG]

From: http://valleyvet.naccvp.com/index.php?m=product_view_basic&u=country&p=msds&id=1031017

Indications
    Chickens:
    For the control of mortality caused by necrotic enteritis (NE) associated with Clostridium perfringens in broiler chickens. As an aid in the treatment of chronic respiratory disease (CRD) associated with Mycoplasma gallisepticum in broiler and replacement chickens. For the control of CRD associated with Mycoplasma gallisepticum at the time of vaccination or other stress in chickens. For the control of CRD associated with Mycoplasma synoviae in broiler chickens.
    Turkeys: For the reduction in severity of effects of infectious sinusitis associated with Mycoplasma gallisepticum.
    Swine: For the treatment and control of swine dysentery (SD) associated with Brachyspira hyodysenteriae. For the treatment and control of SD associated with Brachyspira hyodysenteriae when followed immediately by Tylan Type A medicated article in feed. For the control of porcine proliferative enteropathies (PPE, ileitis) associated with Lawsonia intracellularis when followed immediately by Tylan Type A medicated article in feed.
    Honey Bees: For the control of American Foulbrood (Paenibacillus larvae).
    Ingredients
    Tylosin (as tylosin tartrate)

100 g
    Dosage and Administration
    Dosages:
    Chickens:
    NE indication:
    851 to 1,419 mg/gallon (225 to 375 ppm) in drinking water.
    CRD indications: 2,000 mg/gallon (528 ppm) in drinking water.
    Turkeys: 2,000 mg/gallon (528 ppm) in drinking water.
    Swine: 250 mg/gallon (66 ppm) in drinking water.
    Honey Bees: 200 mg/colony in confectioners/powdered sugar.

http://www.elanco.us/products-services/poultry/water-soluble-crd-control.aspx
    Always add the water to the powder. Do not pour the powder into the water. Prepare a fresh Tylan Soluble solution every three days.
    RESIDUE WARNINGS: Chickens must not be slaughtered for food within 24 hours after treatment. Do not use in layers producing eggs for human consumption.
    Turkeys must not be slaughtered for food within five days after treatment.
    See label for complete safety and use information.
    Chickens, NE indications:

• Administer medicated drinking water for a single five-day period in broiler chickers. To assure all birds receive the intended medication, only medicated water should be available. These practices should be followed to assure both food safety and responsible antimicrobial drug use in chickens:
      1. Use in flocks exhibiting signs of a necrotic enteritis outbreak, for example, increased mortality and lesions characteristic of necrotic enteritis upon necropsy;
      2. Administer the full dose and dosing regimen once medication is initiated;
      3. Use of Tylan Soluble or another macrolide is not advised if additional therapy is needed beyond the original course of medication.
    CRD indications:

• Administer medicated drinking water for three days; however, medicated water may be administered for one to five days depending upon severity of infection. Treated chickens must consume enough medicated water to provide 50 mg per pound of body weight per day. Only medicated water should be available to the birds.
    Turkeys:

• Administer medicated drinking water for three days; however, medicated water may be administered for two to five days depending upon severity of infection. Treated turkeys must consume enough medicated water to provide 60 mg per pound of body weight per day. Only medicated water should be available to the birds.

-Kathy

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Denagard - treatment dose is 2 ml per liter, or 7.57ml per gallon.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Found this about antibiotics and dogs, but same can be applied to birds:

Quote:

Categories: Antibiotics Combination Therapy

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    More Tylan (tylosin) info:

[​IMG]

-Kathy

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  9. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

great work Kathy

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Thanks!

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by