Did I do corrid long enough?

yls

In the Brooder
Dec 17, 2022
So about a week and a half ago, one my close to 1.5 yr old hens were acting weird.....puffed up, droopy, just not normal. The head hen of my 5. Someone said they get like this when molting (some were molting). Then there was blood in the poop the prior Saturday so i knew from threads that it was most likely cocciodosis and to treat the whole flock. Got Corrid. The 9.6% oral solution. The bottle said to do 5 day treatment, so 2 teaspoons in the gallon waterer. So then on Thursday the 5 days was over and I gave vitamins/electrolytes (sav-a-chick) to help replenish. (Now I will say that I only saw blood in the poop that one time...but the others were starting to act subdued and sedate as well). So they were acting pretty good and normal but one of them is acting off (more now). The hen that started this is now molting a lot and is acting a bit off (I was thinking the molt). But the other one is not acting normal. She may be molting a bit, but not tons. I am now wondering if I did the medicine wrong? I searched the forum and on the Corid dosing thread they said this below:
When treating coccidisosis in my own birds I use the severe outbreak dose (0.024%) for 5 days, then the 0.006% amount for 7-14 days.

Liquid dose:
2 teaspoons per gallon for five days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days.

So did I stop too soon??? Is it a relapse?? Do i need to give the 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days. Did I mess up by stopping and giving them vitamins in their water for several days? I guess I should have started the Corrid 1/2 teaspoon on Saturday. If I start the corrid again do I do the 1/2 teaspoon dose or need to do more?
I am guessing it isn't just the molt, it probalby is something else. Please advise as I've never had this issue before and need assurance lol:) Thanks so much!

So about a week and a half ago, one my close to 1.5 yr old hens were acting weird.....puffed up, droopy, just not normal. The head hen of my 5. Someone said they get like this when molting (some were molting). Then there was blood in the poop the prior Saturday so i knew from threads that it was most likely cocciodosis and to treat the whole flock. Got Corrid. The 9.6% oral solution. The bottle said to do 5 day treatment, so 2 teaspoons in the gallon waterer. So then on Thursday the 5 days was over and I gave vitamins/electrolytes (sav-a-chick) to help replenish. (Now I will say that I only saw blood in the poop that one time...but the others were starting to act subdued and sedate as well). So they were acting pretty good and normal but one of them is acting off (more now). The hen that started this is now molting a lot and is acting a bit off (I was thinking the molt). But the other one is not acting normal. She may be molting a bit, but not tons. I am now wondering if I did the medicine wrong? I searched the forum and on the Corid dosing thread they said this below:
When treating coccidisosis in my own birds I use the severe outbreak dose (0.024%) for 5 days, then the 0.006% amount for 7-14 days.

Liquid dose:
2 teaspoons per gallon for five days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days.

So did I stop too soon??? Is it a relapse?? Do i need to give the 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days. Did I mess up by stopping and giving them vitamins in their water for several days? I guess I should have started the Corrid 1/2 teaspoon on Saturday. If I start the corrid again do I do the 1/2 teaspoon dose or need to do more?
I am guessing it isn't just the molt, it probalby is something else. Please advise as I've never had this issue before and need assurance lol:) Thanks so much!
This is the dosage chart. They may be acting off a bit after treatment as in a bit of diarrhea but should be looking and feeling much better, especially if you gave them probiotics. They should have probiotics for several weeks after treating them with Corid. They're recommending another course, which from what I've picked up, most don't do but that's up to you.

Corid dosage chart.jpg

yeah so the bottle said 2 teaspons per gallon, so that is what i did, but I did not do the preventative dose on days 5-7. One is acting weird so I'm not sure if I stopped too soon?? I didn't do probiotics...I did the sav-a-chick vitamins/electrolytes for several days. could it just be off from recovery?? Most are acting really good...just 2 are off (one I think is from heavy molting, the other I'm not sure what.........i'm not sure if could be from cocciodosis somehow still...........)

Back
Top Bottom