Corrid question

Mdavchicks

Chirping
Jul 22, 2022
Hi all,

I’ll be going out of town and have somebody watching our farm. I noticed today on the poop shelf so clear liquid in two different spots. All droppings looked normal. All chickens are acting normal and eating/drinking well. I have 4 days before I leave- should I treat the whole flock with corrid as a preventative measure? I know how quickly cocciodiosis can take a chicken down and I know the person that is watching my flock won’t be able to treat them if it does pop up.

If y’all do recommend treating before I go- should I do 1.5tsp/gallon for 4 days and will that be enough?

How old are your birds?
The correct dose of Corid is 1.5 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the liquid, per gallon of water for 5 - 7 days. Length of treatment is very dependent on how the birds are doing, so if anyone was acting sick, 4 days might not be enough.
Older birds are often resistant to it, unless they have been moved to new ground or new birds have been brought in bringing a new strain. Other things can cause runny/watery droppings. Having said all that, the Corid won't hurt them either way.

You are supposed to make a new fresh batch of Corid water daily.

How old are these chickens? Do you have any poop pictures? Chickens can have watery poops depending on how much they are drinking. Corid is safe though if you want to use it, and that dosage is good. Or you could ask your vet to do a fecal float to look for worms or coccidia.

How old are these chickens? Do you have any poop pictures? Chickens can have watery poops depending on how much they are drinking. Corid is safe though if you want to use it, and that dosage is good. Or you could ask your vet to do a fecal float to look for worms or coccidia.
I guess I’m just nervous about leaving them for the first time 😭 they are a year and a half old. I don’t have any poop pics but it was clear and watery- not yellow or green. Nobody is acting weird. I almost lost one about 5 months ago to coccidiosis and it happened quick so that’s why I’m nervous. Everyone is probably just fine but I guess I was wondering if anyone does this as a prevention before going out of town?

Most chickens by the age of 20 weeks have usually built up a tolerance for the particular strain of coccidia in their dirt. Since you lost one in the past, I can see that it would make you nervous. But there is no way to know if this is coccidiosis without a fecal float, or other signs. It certainly won’t hurt them to give the Corid. There is no egg withdrawal with Corid. Coccidiosis is more common in warm wet weather.

Back
Top Bottom