Antibiotics are they necessary?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lovmyrodies, Oct 28, 2009.

1. lovmyrodies

lovmyrodies New Egg

Oct 28, 2009
    Is it necessary to add duramycin to my chickens water? I never have done this. my chicks ar 23 weeks old.and they appear/act healthy.
    Thanks!

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Using antibiotics for no reason is a good way to build resistance to them so they don't work when you do need them.

Have you been having problems with your chickens? Where you told by someone to do this and if so why? More information about your flock and why you're thinking about the antibiotics.

[​IMG]

3. lovmyrodies

lovmyrodies New Egg

Oct 28, 2009
    Thanks for your reply! No, no problems with my chickens. someone i met mentioned it to me. it didn't make sense to give it to them but, i wasn't sure. glad i didn't take his advice.....

4. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Our chickens never receive any antibiotics period! Of course they do help once in a while. I would never recommend giving them antibiotics unless you had a big problem. If you give it to them now they nay fail you later. We read an article about a hog farmer. He gave his pigs so many antibiotics that it became a problem. He got bit by a pig one day. It got infected. The pig had so many antibiotics that the antibiotics the doctor gave him would not work. And [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  5. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    Quote:I know what you mean - I know a guy that puts bleach in their drinking water and alternates between two different antibiotics in the water ALL THE TIME! I don't think that's a healthy way to raise a chicken.

If you want to give them a little "help" all the time, put Apple Cider Vinegar in their water - it acidifies the crop a little and can help ward off crop issues. Plus it keeps bacterial growth in the water down. 2 Tablespoons per gallon of water. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by