Antibiotics for Ducks and Other Waterfowl

DrakeMaiden

Overrun with Drakes
12 Years
Jun 8, 2007
Kitsap County, WA
I searched for previous posts regarding giving antibiotics to ducks and came up with no information here. Nor did I find anything helpful when I searched the internet.

I read that penecillin, terramycin, and amoxycillin are all acceptable antibiotics to use on ducks, but I have not seen any information on proper dosage.

We found terramycin, but it is meant to be diluted into water and dilutions were only given for chickens, not for ducks. Ducks drink more water than chickens, but no one appears to know how much more water a duck will drink as opposed to a chicken. Even that information would be very helpful.

Who has experience giving antibiotics to waterfowl, either in their water or in orally administered doses?

Thanks, I was waiting to hear from you Terrielacy. I wasn't sure what Baytril was, so I looked it up real fast and happened to find that it is not recommended for birds that will end up being consumed. I am posting the link to inform anyone who might come across this post at a later date.

Essentially -- "Campylobacter infections are the most common cause of foodborne sicknesses in the country, and their frequencies escalated with the approval of Baytril use in poultry." This has led the FDA to ban the use of Baytril in poultry.

Yes you are right about Baytril not being for birds that are consumed. Sorry about that. I forget that not everyone is as dotty about ducks as I am and never eats them! LOL

The first time I took Miss Matilda Pekin Duck to the vet, she asked "Are you going to be eating this duck?" At the aghast look on my face, she said "I guess not, and she laughed and explained why she asked.

She did say not to eat eggs that Miss M laid for at least a month to be safe.

Terrielacy.....I'm with you! All my animals are our pets are our pets and the thought of anyone eatting my babies just makes me nauscious. I by no means belong to the vegetarian/vegan group but i wouldnt think bad of anyone who eat veggies only or meat.....just not our babies!!:idunno

Back
Top Bottom