Antibiotics for sour crop as a last resort?

marlene

Songster
8 Years
Aug 17, 2011
UK
I have been treating my hen for sour crop since sept/oct last year with no avail. I have tried every thing possible and even though the anti fungal meds help, within a few days it comes back.
I think it is time to give up and let her go now, but i was thinking could i try antibiotics on her as a very last resort.
I am thinking that maybe because it has been going on for so long it could of turned into some sort of infection in there and maybe a weeks worth of antibiotics might do the trick.
I figure it won't hurt to try as it's the last thing i can think of before i make the decission to put her to sleep.
Anyone with feedback on this would be helpful.
Thank you.

What have you tried? Have you massaged the crop for a minute or two and then 'tipped' her? Only tip for a few seconds (5-10) at a time as she will be unable to breathe in this position. This usually gets rid of a lot of the gunk (you should see a horrible yellow liquid come out of beak)- do this two or three times a day until no more liquid comes out.
After each tipping session I also give live white maggots as they will devour and help break up any other gunk still in the crop whilst giving her some much needed protein. Fresh chopped tomatoes are also good to combat sour crop.
Only when you are certain there is no more gunk (may take a few days)---- then give pro biotic live yoghurt for a few days, this will rebalance the bacteria in her gut - Don't give this until you are happy the sour crop has depleted as it can make it worse.

What have you tried? Have you massaged the crop for a minute or two and then 'tipped' her? Only tip for a few seconds (5-10) at a time as she will be unable to breathe in this position. This usually gets rid of a lot of the gunk (you should see a horrible yellow liquid come out of beak)- do this two or three times a day until no more liquid comes out.
After each tipping session I also give live white maggots as they will devour and help break up any other gunk still in the crop whilst giving her some much needed protein. Fresh chopped tomatoes are also good to combat sour crop.
Only when you are certain there is no more gunk (may take a few days)---- then give pro biotic live yoghurt for a few days, this will rebalance the bacteria in her gut - Don't give this until you are happy the sour crop has depleted as it can make it worse.

What have i NOT tried!
I have withrawn food for 24 hours, vomited her, acv in water, yogurt,tomatoes, this went on for weeks on end.
Next it was to the vets, a months worth of anti fungal meds which did nothing.
I then decided to give her half a canesten supository as i was at a loss and it looked like she was going to die anyway, she had the whole tablet over 2 days. It worked for about 48 and now it seems to have come back worse than ever.
I feel i have exausted every thing now, i just can't keep pumping meds into her and the naturel approach was tried for a good 2 months and it did nothing also.
I seem to be keeping her alive by vomiting her 2/3 times a day now, i think it's time i let her go now. She and i have been battling this since october last year, i don't want to give up but there seems nothing else i can try to cure her, unless i give the anti biotics a try as a last resort.

Well sounds like you have been wrung through the mill! Yes, I would give A/B a go as you really have tried everything else. Good Luck- I hope your girl makes it!

There is a thread on here I saw recently where members are using women's yeast infection suppository medications with good results. Have you seen that thread or tried it?

There is a thread on here I saw recently where members are using women's yeast infection suppository medications with good results. Have you seen that thread or tried it?

Tried that, worked well, but within 48 hrs it returned and worse than ever. I feel she has an undelying problem that might be causing it and that is why i am not able to cure it completely.

Well sounds like you have been wrung through the mill! Yes, I would give A/B a go as you really have tried everything else. Good Luck- I hope your girl makes it!

I will give it a try as i feel there is nothing else i can do for her and have exausted every other avenue. I will start her tomorrow and see what happens and update everyone.
Does anyone know the dose of penicillin i should give (orally) and for how long?

What is the anti fungal that you used?

I used Monistat which has a different kind of anti fungal. I used the cream and it went away after a weeks treatment.

Butoconazole (Femstat), clotrimazole (Mycelex, Gyne-Lotrimin, FemCare), miconazole (Monistat-7, Femizol-M), nystatin (Mycostatin), terconazole (Terazol), tioconazole (Vagistat-1)

These are the different types of anti fungals out there, I used the MICONAZOLE for my hen.

It may be that one anti fungal works better than the others so it might be worth it to just try a few out.

What is the anti fungal that you used?

I used Monistat which has a different kind of anti fungal. I used the cream and it went away after a weeks treatment.

Butoconazole (Femstat), clotrimazole (Mycelex, Gyne-Lotrimin, FemCare), miconazole (Monistat-7, Femizol-M), nystatin (Mycostatin), terconazole (Terazol), tioconazole (Vagistat-1)

These are the different types of anti fungals out there, I used the MICONAZOLE for my hen.

It may be that one anti fungal works better than the others so it might be worth it to just try a few out.

Not sure which one it was the vet prescribed as the label on the bottle got wet so can't read it now. I also tried the womens suppository which contained clotrimazole, it worked well and fast. Within 48 hrs of giving it her crop was completely empty, 48 hrs later it had returned worse than ever.

Not sure which one it was the vet prescribed as the label on the bottle got wet so can't read it now. I also tried the womens suppository which contained clotrimazole, it worked well and fast. Within 48 hrs of giving it her crop was completely empty, 48 hrs later it had returned worse than ever.

How long did you give it to her for? I think you may be right about it being an underlying problem if it just keeps coming back. You may want to try the monistat cream with the miconozale for 7 days straight. I mean it would hurt right? I gave the cream just to make sure if got everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom