antibiotics / what / how much

Thanks eggcessive....the only thing I can get her to eat is a little boiled egg...scratch feed and a few wet crumbled...she seems to prefer the scratch over anything....I've tryed mixing applesauce and yogart in her crumbled but she just picks at it.i am using the electrolites in her water.......i will add the probiotics also...and no she isn't laying yet that i know off....i have her in the house away from the others tho....i will watch her and do as u told me....thank u so much for ur time

You can give vitamins with Tylan. If she eats scratch well, give it to her since she needs nutrition. Give her some egg with it to up the protein.

Eggcessive....what type vitimans do i need to give her....vitiman e with selenium and vitiman b.....or the poly vi sol without iron.....I finally managed to get her to eat some boiled eggs in her crumbles...do i need to coue the tylan 50?....she just likes 2 more doses

Eggcessive....what type vitimans do i need to give her....vitiman e with selenium and vitiman b.....or the poly vi sol without iron.....I finally managed to get her to eat some boiled eggs in her crumbles...do i need to coue the tylan 50?....she just likes 2 more doses[/quote]

After Corid they need vitamin A, and K, so I would give Polyvisol 2 drops a day, but poultry vitamins in the water would be best. I would finish the course of Tylan.

Ok...I will go ahead and finish the tylan and give her poly visol..and I really do appreciate u helping me out and taking the time to help....u just dont know how much u have helped....thankvu from the bottom of my heart....u have a blessedvday...what's left of it...thank u again....

How old is the chick? It sounds like it could have Coccidiosis, or some sort of infection. In the case of Coccidiosis, the treatment would be 9.6% Corid liquid or 20% Corid powder. Dosage for the liquid would be 2 teaspoons/gal, and the powder would be 3/4 teaspoon/gallon (I think--I know there is some controversy on the topic).

An oral antibiotic (or Corid) won't be effective unless you can get the chick to eat and drink, but if you can (through tube feeding, etc.), then two good antibiotics are Oxytetracycline (Terramycin, Duramycin, Tetroxy HCA-280) and Tylan50. The dosage for oxytetracycline varies depending on the product; I do know that the Tetroxy dosage is 1/2 teaspoon per quart of drinking water given for 7-14 days. I'm not sure of the water soluble Tylan50 dosage, as I've only used the injectable version.
Please don't think I'm picking on you, 'cause that's not my intention, I just want people to know how much medicine they're giving.

1/2 teaspoon of 20% powder = 2.8125ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 270mg of amprolium.
3/4 teaspoon of 20% powder = 4.21875ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 405mg of amprolium.
1 teaspoon of 20% powder = 5.625ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 540mg of amprolium.
1.5 teaspoons of 20% powder =8.4375ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 810mg of amprolium.
1.75 teaspoons of 20% powder = 9.84375ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 945mg of amprolium.
2 teaspoons of 20% powder = 11.25ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 1080mg of amprolium.

Bottom line - If one uses 2 teaspoons of the liquid they shoud use *no less* than 1.5 teaspoons of the powder. One teaspoon of powder is the same as using 5.625ml of the liquid. FWIW, if I ever ran out of the liquid and had to use the powder I would probably use slightly less than 2 teaspoons.

More Corid and Amprol dosing info here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom