Antibiotics will soon require vet prescription

Pics
I’m curious what is everyone using antibiotics to treat in chickens. I mean exact illnesses?
I wouldnt off hand keep antibiotics around. But I do have a vet that treated my little miss Dewdrop for pneumonia. He has his office in a barn stall on his ranch and is getting into Livestock. He sent me home with Subcutaneous injections and three syringes. One shot per day delivered under the skin.

He mentioned he would be getting into more livestock because there is a need. I would take a chicken to him if it were breeding stock. If I were to get into breeding... But he would be able to diagnose Merecks and other disease. He has quarantine facilities as well. Miss Dewdrop had her own box stall and doting nurses to tend her every need... It was too cute.

deb

Popping in to say. .
This restriction on buying antibiotics is just another case of bad apples ruining it for the rest of us.
It is unfortunate that those of us who would only use them sparingly and on a case by case basis will not have access because there are too many out there who would treat for anything and everything.
Same as people who go to the doctor for every hang nail.

My ducks are more like a hobby to me. . I guess I'm on the fence between livestock and pets. I'm not going to force them to live in the house and wear cloths and be my full time lap warmer.
But I wouldn't be above slapping a hat on one to take a funny picture to post. :gig
I can't say I would absolutely NEVER take one to the vet. . if I felt it was something I couldn't handle myself, and it wasn't an issue that put the rest of my birds at risk. .and it's not going to cost me a months pay check to take it. but it's highly unlikely that I ever will find it reasonable to take one. For me it's not about putting a price tag on the birds life as much as it is common sense and making a rational decision.

It's getting to the point where no-one can give any advice around here without the vet scorning happening at one extreme or another.
Their needs to be some middle ground in my opinion.
I personally get tired of hearing "vet or cull" as the only two options for anything.
The vet issue is because most of it can be treated at home. The vast majority of problems that can’t be treated at home aren’t treatable issues in general. So..for all the people saying “is a vet an option” should explain what the keeper can do for themselves if they even know which is highly unlikely. If people want to piss away their money on nonsense more power to em. All Im saying is it seems like it would be in the owners best interest to do for themselves. A little self reliance isn’t a bad thing.
For the “culling” well that’s never gonna change. If your flock is weak and you constantly have issues treating them for every ailment thats just kicking the can down the road. While it truly doesn’t matter the fact is half these people peddle birds to anyone they can which in turn makes the problem worse.
Then poor Susies 1 yr old chicken is blind in one eye, walking in circles, and is retaining fluid like a water balloon and they have no idea why since they did everything right!

Popping in to say. .
This restriction on buying antibiotics is just another case of bad apples ruining it for the rest of us.
It is unfortunate that those of us who would only use them sparingly and on a case by case basis will not have access because there are too many out there who would treat for anything and everything.
Same as people who go to the doctor for every hang nail.

My ducks are more like a hobby to me. . I guess I'm on the fence between livestock and pets. I'm not going to force them to live in the house and wear cloths and be my full time lap warmer.
But I wouldn't be above slapping a hat on one to take a funny picture to post. :gig
I can't say I would absolutely NEVER take one to the vet. . if I felt it was something I couldn't handle myself, and it wasn't an issue that put the rest of my birds at risk. .and it's not going to cost me a months pay check to take it. but it's highly unlikely that I ever will find it reasonable to take one. For me it's not about putting a price tag on the birds life as much as it is common sense and making a rational decision.

It's getting to the point where no-one can give any advice around here without the vet scorning happening at one extreme or another.
Their needs to be some middle ground in my opinion.
I personally get tired of hearing "vet or cull" as the only two options for anything.
WHAT? your ducks a "hobby" for you? Wait till I tell them you said that! Then we shall see who gets a bill!:D

I finally read through this article.... Crazy research... But they state that it was in an area that Rabies was rampant.

I love they can trace it back through a Phylogenetic tree... Apparently any warm blooded animal can get rabies... But in Birds they have only done it in the laboratory. So they Assumed It couldnt happen naturally... Sheesh we all know what assumptions mean.

deb

Correct me if I am wrong... Antibiotics are only for Bacterial infections right?
And the only way to tell is by blood sample.

Viral infections are only treatable by immunization. But Antibiotics are prescribed to keep a secondary infection from taking root. Pneumonia is one that can be Viral but bacterial infection can take hold in the mucus...?

I dont get a flue shot Unless they nab me at the clinic Havent had the flue in a very very very long time.

deb
Correct.

But there is a gray area here that from my own experience and career I can explain. Many times a person with a weakened or compromised immune system will be prescribed an antibiotic to 'cover' them should the virus they are suffering from leaves them open to the possibility of a secondary bacterial infection that would endanger them further. Usually it is a short course, 7-10 days worth. Same with post surgical patients. A person with a ruptured appendix for instance. A doctor would want to give them IV antibiotics to knock whatever bacterial toxin is in them as post surgically, they are weakened even further.

What you are referring to is droplet transmission of viral or bacterial infection. Both can be transmitted that way and very easily.

As for not getting the flu. Danged girl you gots yourself some good genes!

I finally read through this article.... Crazy research... But they state that it was in an area that Rabies was rampant.

I love they can trace it back through a Phylogenetic tree... Apparently any warm blooded animal can get rabies... But in Birds they have only done it in the laboratory. So they Assumed It couldnt happen naturally... Sheesh we all know what assumptions mean.

deb
I saw that a couple of years ago and after having read it, I've been a little leary of handling birds that were bitten or killed by a predator, especially after seeing a skunk out in the middle of the day.

deb

Which is why we need to have rabies vaccine available over the counter so we can vaccinate our birds.

People can’t afford to take their birds to a vet for a vaccine. Vaccines aren’t antibiotic in nature but preventive.

As for not getting the flu. Danged girl you gots yourself some good genes!
we do or did... I was only shamed into giving in and getting the shot because of grandmas advanced age.

I had NEVER seen her sick... Grandpa would get sick but not grandma... Those many years living in a dirt floored home... Eating foods that may be iffy All them girls had iron Constitutions.

I get ashtma from having a cold which can turn into bronchitis... I dont take anything for it except my asthma meds... and otc stuff.

deb

Back
Top Bottom