Antibiotics will soon require vet prescription

Pics
I think the thread has taken a side track that many of us have birds not pets of them dogs and cats enrich my life I am not dependent to have one with all the time but there are those that think a chicken is a pet and have a different view so be it put your big girl panties on this is going to happen bet the emergency thread here goes crazier than it has been

The vet issue is because most of it can be treated at home. The vast majority of problems that can’t be treated at home aren’t treatable issues in general. So..for all the people saying “is a vet an option” should explain what the keeper can do for themselves if they even know which is highly unlikely. If people want to piss away their money on nonsense more power to em. All Im saying is it seems like it would be in the owners best interest to do for themselves. A little self reliance isn’t a bad thing.
For the “culling” well that’s never gonna change. If your flock is weak and you constantly have issues treating them for every ailment thats just kicking the can down the road. While it truly doesn’t matter the fact is half these people peddle birds to anyone they can which in turn makes the problem worse.
Then poor Susies 1 yr old chicken is blind in one eye, walking in circles, and is retaining fluid like a water balloon and they have no idea why since they did everything right!
Absolutely agree. . but I also know that some people here have learned to say "is a vet an option" as a mere effort to avoid all the "vet shaming" (as I like to call it) that goes on around here. I'm guilty of saying it too.

Absolutely agree. . but I also know that some people here have learned to say "is a vet an option" as a mere effort to avoid all the "vet shaming" (as I like to call it) that goes on around here. I'm guilty of saying it too.
I get that but it also sends the message that one must have access and enough extra money to haul a chicken to the vets office. When in reality vet appts for chickens is a relatively new concept.

Are rabies vaccines available over the counter now?
In some states, yes. Not in these states:
AK, AL, AR, CA, CT, GA, HI, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, MD, ME, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OK, OR, PR, RI, SC, TN, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WY.

I see that as a "I don't want to advise if you can see a vet"....kind of a CYA.

I take it there is nothing like the British RSPCA in America?
There are two "free" animal care organizations in the UK; can't think of the name of the other one. They ask for a donation. Some give, others.....
It''s run as a charity I think. Some of their surgeries have avian vets. I took an owl there many years ago. I said it was my pet that lived outside in a tree. :D You can imagine the looks I got. They sorted the duck out though.

I take it there is nothing like the British RSPCA in America?
There are two "free" animal care organizations in the UK; can't think of the name of the other one. They ask for a donation. Some give, others.....
It''s run as a charity I think. Some of their surgeries have avian vets. I took an owl there many years ago. I said it was my pet that lived outside in a tree. :D You can imagine the looks I got. They sorted the duck out though.
Yes, there is an SPCA in the US that offers lower cost neutering,
and 'rescue' adoptions, it's where I got my last dog.
But I don't think they deal with poultry...just cats and dogs.

Back
Top Bottom