Antibiotics will soon require vet prescription

Pics
You are wrong, 100%..

the vaccine does prevent them from contracting the disease. It does not prevent them from coming in contact with the disease.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/neoplasms/marek-disease-in-poultry
We have three types of vaccine available here.

From the above article.
Dust or dander from infected chickens is particularly effective in transmission. Once the virus is introduced into a chicken flock, regardless of vaccination status, infection spreads quickly from bird to bird. Infected chickens continue to be carriers for long periods and act as sources of infectiou

I just want to make this very clear in case someone who is actually trying to deal with Mareks and is interested in the science rather than the rhetoric, the emotional stories and other assorted nonsense.
Of course, this is only what merkvetmanual has to say and we all know they haven't got a clue about the disease.
Facepalm.gif

The horrible truth is if you've had Mareks in your flock it's probably still there and while your birds may not show any symptoms it may be a different story for any other birds they come into contact with.

Sorry if someone already asked this, I didn't read through the whole thread. Is it only over the counter injectables that they will be doing away with (for now)? What about Metronidazole/Fishzole?
The antibiotics that will require prescriptions are the injectable tylosin, oxytetracycline, penicillin, sulfadimethoxine, lincomycin, and gentamicin that places like TSC, Rural King, Valley Vet, Jeffers's, etc. sell.

I've used antibiotics on chickens 4 times in the last 10 years. All for injuries received from a Goshawk strike and all on the advice of my vet.
In 3 cases the chicken lived.
I’ve used them twice on two different birds for enteritis and in both instances the roosters were older and in heavy molt. Still most likely my fault for not keeping their pens as clean as I should have.

I’ve used them twice on two different birds for enteritis and in both instances the roosters were older and in heavy molt. Still most likely my fault for not keeping their pens as clean as I should have.
Curiously, what antibiotic did you use, and how did you know it was enteritis?

Back
Top Bottom