Antibiotics will soon require vet prescription

Pics
What I've found ( I may have just been lucky) is that with wounds, if you get them scrupulously clean straight after the attack and keep them clean then infection doesn't set in.
Much to the horror of some no doubt I still use Stockholm Hoof Tar for a lot of wounds.
I've probably used it around 20 times over the years and not once has an infection set in.

What I've found ( I may have just been lucky) is that with wounds, if you get them scrupulously clean straight after the attack and keep them clean then infection doesn't set in.
Much to the horror of some no doubt I still use Stockholm Hoof Tar for a lot of wounds.
I've probably used it around 20 times over the years and not once has an infection set in.
Pine tar?

My experience too. :highfive:
:lau Yeah, I'm more of a chlorhexidine gal.

Had to google the product Pine tar old about the same I think I am pro used it for years
on hoofs just never thought of it on others that way but another method in my book
STOCKHOLM HOOF TAR. Maintains healthy frog, sole, and hoof wall; Natural anti-bacterial action. Stockholm tar for veterinary and agricultural purposes.

My experience too. :highfive:

:lau Yeah, I'm more of a chlorhexidine gal.
I use chlorhexadine to clean the wounds but my approach is to get injured birds back with their tribes as quickly as possible. The stress of being separated seems to depress them and consequently they don't recover as quickly.
Correctly applied, SHT seals the wound and that's what I want. So very roughly for semi serious wounds it's keep them clean for three days, coat it with SHT and chuck them out.:D

I have been over fortunate no wounds no illness here in 6 years
I used to be able to say something like that regarding sickness but some of the chickens are getting on in years and they don't fight off health problems like the youngsters.
The last two to die here were 8 and 9 years old and developed reproductive disorders.
It doesn't really matter what you do they're going to die. It's a question of when I consider their quality of life isn't worth the struggle.

Back
Top Bottom