Antibiotics will soon require vet prescription

I see nobody actually knows what they’re treating for then. This is pretty much why the regulations are going into effect.
Are you trolling?

Maybe if you asked about a specific disease we could tell you what we use and why?

An open end question like you asked assumes we are treating for something.

Right now, I, for one, am not treating for anything, as I have a happy healthy flock.

Are you trolling?

Maybe if you asked about a specific disease we could tell you what we use and why?

An open end question like you asked assumes we are treating for something.

Right now, I, for one, am not treating for anything, as I have a happy healthy flock.
Are you still trying to be funny?
I’m seriously asking what people have treated for just like I’ve already said what I’ve treated for. I’m genuinely curious since the thread is concerned with the availability of antibiotics.

Are you still trying to be funny?
I’m seriously asking what people have treated for just like I’ve already said what I’ve treated for. I’m genuinely curious since the thread is concerned with the availability of antibiotics.

Are you still trolling?

Ask a serious question and you will get a serious answer.

I am completely serious when I saw I am not treating for anything now.

My birds are happy and healthy as I said.

In about 2 months I will treat them with ivermectin. Yes, I know it is not approved for chickens.

Are you still trolling?

Ask a serious question and you will get a serious answer.

I am completely serious when I saw I am not treating for anything now.

My birds are happy and healthy as I said.

In about 2 months I will treat them with ivermectin. Yes, I know it is not approved for chickens.
What diseases or secondary infection worries have you treated your chickens for in the past with antibiotics where they helped? I’m not sure how you would like me to word it. I’m just asking what people need the antibiotics for?

Ivermectin? Big deal. I use ivermectin, sevin, and frontline. I don’t care if it’s approved for chickens or not.
I’m not trying for a “gotcha” I’m seriously just wondering what the need is. I was asking anyone who would like to answer since this seems like a huge deal to some.

You''re not making any sense Ralphie.
If the vaccine is effective and many hatcheries and breeders vaccinate for Mareks then I can't see how nearly 100% of the flocks in the USA have Mareks unless it is as I stated earlier that it is possible for a bird to be a carrier without showing the full blown version of the disease, which if I've understood correctly, you disagree with.
I even provided what would seem to be a reputable source in the link earlier which has been largely ignored in preference to hearsay.
Not much point in further discussion on this topic.

EDA6756B-8405-4B80-9492-B7B8E2F570E3.jpeg

Have a good day..

Last edited:
Main thing I use antibiotics for are bumblefoot and infected wounds.
Bumblefoot is not something that gets crazy infected overnight but wounds from an attack of some kind is where I see the need for antibiotics. Rarely do you ever see them recommended on here for those situations though. It’s almost always some form of incurable sickness to treat symptoms.
I’d say more than likely a predator attack will happen outside of normal vet hours and it will definitely be a hindrance to wait on an appt or even waiting to go get the medicine from a vet (after explaining what you need it for).

Imo ALL antibios in this entire country should be available by prescription only.

You give the gen population access to antibiotics and you will always, without fail, have the dumb folks who use it for everything just because they can.
Then they get immune or allergic to antibiotics and they're screwed :idunno

I'm allergic to most antibiotics because when I was a kid I always had strep throat until they removed my tonsils. They gave me so many antibiotics that I started becoming allergic to every single one. I think the only antibiotic I can take is Z-Pac (spelling?).

I had to give our dog a sulfa based antibiotic for an infection she had... She bit the pill and got the powder all over my hand and I went into anaphylactic shock. I rarely mess with antibiotics now. My vet recommends other things due to this. The ambulance couldn't give me an EpiPen because my heart rate was 190 , so they had to use an 18 gauge needle and slam it into my muscle, I still have scars from it. I scared myself, my family, and the vet when this happened. I have epi pens now.

Antibiotics are a curse for me...

Back
Top Bottom