ANTICIPATION.....Where Are Those Blue Eggs, Girls??????

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Remember the old Carly Simon song?
http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/window/media/page/0,,163190-348014-WMLO,00.html

I've had chickens for going on two years now, but right now, I have six pullets who will be 21 weeks old this Friday: two Barred Rocks, two Ameraucanas, one Speckled Sussex and one Blue Orpington. I especially would like to see those Ameraucana eggs since I don't have any who lay tinted eggs. I have the older girls laying HUGE eggs, at least the ones who aren't in a hard molt, and the younger girls, most of whom lay small eggs, then I have these. The combs are red, they are going in and out of nests and at least the Barred Rocks are flirting with their rooster and squatting for him. No matter how long I have chickens, it's always exciting when a pullet starts to lay.

ME TOO!!!!!Mine will be 21 weeks Wednesday and still NOTHING!!!!! someone posted that they threatened an omlet party and had eggs the next day........
idunno.gif
Worth a try?

Hmm, yes, resorting to threats of bodily harm.. maybe that would do it, LOL. I'm anxious to see what happens with the Ameraucanas' egg color. The sire of these was show quality all the way, but the mother was not, although she was a blue true Ameraucana, not an Easter Egger. Still, the sire was from a line of birds bred for exceptional blue egg color. Hopefully, his side of the family will win out.

my e.e.'s and doms started laying to the day of being 21 weeks. that was last Thurs. But let me tell you, I got four tinted eggs today and at least four brown eggs today. Plus the big girls eggs. I actually lost count, I found eggs in the nest boxes several times and I wish I had paid attention as to how many were laying. I have not seen my buff orps in a nest box yet. Nor the cochins. All are the same age. Believe me it will happen very soon now.

Sure hope so. I want to see if my Ameraucana cockerel is doing a better job fertilizing than it appears, LOL. I have people waiting for hatching eggs from the Ameraucanas along with my Blue Orpingtons and my neighbor wants 4 dozen eggs for the weekend. A couple of my main layers are molting so I'm down a couple of real hard workers right now. NOW would be an excellent time, girls!

I was in your shoes just a few weeks ago Cynthia. So, I DID resort to threats. I went in the coop...sat down with the girls, and showed them all the eggs I got from the RIR for the day. Told them they should ALL be ashamed that the "old ladies" ( 2 yr olds) are out laying them. Well, in a few days.....the BO started laying, then the Ameracaunas. We get lovely blue...green, and a not so lovely olive drab green egg almost every day now. Not bad 3 colored eggs from 7 hens. We are up to 20 eggs a day...from 36 hens. My customers are VERY happy to be finally getting eggs again. LOL

Funny you should mention showing the RIR eggs to your younger girls, Deb. I do that every day when I gather them from the main coop, too! I walk over to the Ameraucanas' pen and show them the pretty GIANT eggs they should be giving me. Well, maybe that's the problem, LOL! They are afraid after seeing what the older girls are laying-not looking forward to pushing that out the backend!
lau.gif

gig.gif
Cyn....I can just see them looking up at you and saying....if YOU think I am going to push THAT size egg out, think again" LOL
remember the song...... Lay lady Lay ??

SpeckledHen, I'll be watching for your first Egg post this week. we will be close. Aran would be with us too but he is MIA.

Back
Top Bottom