Antique tool people, I have a question

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by houndit, Aug 17, 2010.

1. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    It seems a little odd to ask this here on a chicken forum, but I did not know where to find out. I was going through some stuff in the garage the other day, and I found some old drills. Passed down from my Grandfather I believe. I looked at them. They seem to be in working order, but I do not know anything about them. Do they have any monetary value right now?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just curious.
    Thanks!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Around here it would depend on what farm auction you were at as to what they would bring. Here they generally don't go for more than $5-10, but I"m sure it varies where you're at what they're worth. We've got several in the farm shop.....I think they're neat because they were my husband's dad and grandfather's.

3. Very nice, I love old tools. We have two of those, I think they're fairly common. I think the kind of antique tools that are valuable are the specialty type. Like antique printing equipment or antique doctor's instruments.

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    They might be worth a little more here on the West Coast. I would keep an eye on both E-bay and on craigslist for current prices.

5. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Thanks!

6. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

It's a type of brace (Drill), in our part of the country they are called "Yankee Drills" and bring around $3.00 to $10.00 at our auctions. Books for around $20.00. Bring more on the West coast and far North-east from what I've heard.

7. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Just looked at the pictures again, the last one is a "Belly brace" and worth more, around $15.00 and up at auction. Also look for names as good name brands will always bring more money. "Keen Kutter, E. C. Simmons, Plumb, Etc are all good names as are any tools made by famous gun makers "Remington, Colt, Winchester, etc.
    Hope that helps, tools aren't my speciality.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    LOVE my tools I inherited from Dad and various granddads. The batteries never run down and no flappy upper arms, thanks to them! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by