Ants around chicken bum, has become sickly!!

Chickengirl12345

Hatching
Jan 20, 2021
My Isa brown has become very sickly. Not as energetic as the others, looks sleepy, laying down and comb is dull. She now has common black ants crawling around her bum. I'm assuming this is causing her discomfort, and not making her feel any better. How do I get rid of the ants and help her back to good health? Otherwise I think she might be getting old and would like to make her last bit of time more comfortable?

Try cleaning your hen good to get rid of all the ants. Then put her somewhere where the ants can't get to her. Someplace quiet, with access to food and water. Place some type of litter in with her so you can keep her area clean. If she has been a pet, keep her company as much as you can.
Keep us posted on how she is doing, please.
Does she have any other symptoms, that might help figure out what is happening with her? How old is she? And did this come on suddenly or has she been getting slower over time?
Can you send pictures of her vent?

My Isa brown has become very sickly. Not as energetic as the others, looks sleepy, laying down and comb is dull. She now has common black ants crawling around her bum. I'm assuming this is causing her discomfort, and not making her feel any better. How do I get rid of the ants and help her back to good health? Otherwise I think she might be getting old and would like to make her last bit of time more comfortable?
Welcome to BYC.
Are you sure they arnt mites? Mites are either black in color or red in color. The difference between mites and black ants are that mites have 8 legs and suck blood causing anemia, then death. Ants have 6 legs and dont suck blood.
Your sick hens symptoms fits the description of a mite infestation. I recommend dusting her with Permethrin dust, particularly around the vent area. Even if it's ants, the Permethrin dust will kill them. Then repeat dusting in 10 days
Then give her Poultry Nutri Drench liquid, one drop orally twice a day for no more than 7 days.
The Poultry Nutri Drench will get her back to normal, it is loaded with vitamins and minerals. Provide her layer feed and fresh water to drink.
View attachment 2496357View attachment 2496363

Back
Top Bottom