1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ants - how to control them

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by abqfarm, Jun 10, 2011.

1. abqfarm

abqfarm New Egg

Jun 10, 2011
    I really thought the chicks would eat them bu they don't and I'm a little cautious about letting the ant population grow since the coop is pretty much connected with our house. I don't want to make the chicks sick (I have 3 silkies that are 8 weeks old) so whatever I treat with, I'll try to do it outside the run. Any suggestions? Thanks. Teresa

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have the same problem. I don't know what to do either. [​IMG]

3. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
  4. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    I use boiling water in the peony beds, after the peonies bloom and in amongst our vegie garden. Big 'ol teapot full of boiling water makes real quick work of a ant-hill.

WARNING though: wear some shoes that are waterproof AND stand 'downstream' of the overflow. Rubber wellies make really great hot water bottles for your feet if you're standing in the wrong spot! And they get hot FAST! So do the ants though.....

Might need a repeat treatment if the ants are underneath something immoveable - like in a cement crack or something like that.

Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by