Ants in eggs

brettp36

Chirping
Mar 31, 2018
So today my chicks poked a hole in the egg and are ready to come out but on go swarmed with ants and was being eaten alive. So I started blowing into the egg to try and get the ants out but it wasn’t working. I know I’m not supposed to hatch the egg myself but I did. I started opening the egg and blowing and taking out the ants until that were all gone. But now there is a big opening in the shell and the baby is still covered in the egg membrane thing it’s still alive and is moving and making noise. This chick has been like this for hours and hasn’t made any progress on hatching. I know your not supposed to help an egg hatch but I figured it was worth a try to save the chicks life from the ants. Here is what the egg looks like what should I do. Also btw it’s been about 13 hrs since the chick started hatching
image.jpg

Ok it’s been 12 hrs since this post and it still hasn’t absorbed the veins what should I do
You can’t really do anything until the veins are gone. Otherwise they will bleed to death. It’s a waiting game at this point. Sorry I can’t help more!

Looks like there's lots of veins that haven't absorbed yet. The veins in the membrane will absorb, so do not touch it until the veins are all gone. Otherwise you risk it bleeding out. I agree with what @Uff Da said, you may have to assist.

Ok it’s been 12 hrs since this post and it still hasn’t absorbed the veins what should I do

The hatching timeline is looong. Pip to zip can be 24 hours, zip to push out can be 12. They need that 36 hours to absorb their yolk and blood supply. In the grand scheme of things, 12 hours isn't much time. As long as the chick's nostrils are clear for breathing and it isn't thrashing around exhausting itself, it can stay in there for well over a day. Rushing does more harm than waiting. :)

Back
Top Bottom