Ants in the coop!

hensofburgoyne

Chirping
Jan 29, 2017
Went out tonite to put my girls to bed and...ANTS. They seemed only out the outside, but I don't want them taking over inside as well. We did just have a massive storm come thru, but I'm concerned.

We've had a huge problem with ants through the property this year, and I really don't want them to get established in the coop.

Any ideas?!

gamebirdsonly: I'm hoping! I mean, silly as it sounds, my major concern is if the ants pose any risk of harm to the chickens.

ChickNanny13: thanks. Might even use that elsewhere if it works. It's just kinda crazy how bad the ants are this year!!!

I sprinkle it all around the base of my house, Hubby would complain cause it's white & very visible but not anymore. My brother mixed some in a sprayer & sprays it on all his plants, leaves a white film but results are good. It'll wash away with rain/water but I've noticed since I sprinkle the base of our house regularly, it does leave a residue that's a plus. I dust my chickens with it, dust my container that I keep my feed in and if you feed Flock Raiser, it's in the ingredients as a mite prevention.

My chickens eat the ants that venture into the chicken coop. My ducks eat the ants that venture onto the front porch area and on the deck. :)

I wouldn't worry about it. Cornstarch is another good thing to sprinkle around to get rid of ants. Safe for all animals, I believe, but it does a great job getting rid of ants and other small insects.

food grade DE. Yup don't forget to sprinkle it into the nest boxes and any dust bathing areas... some of these tiny ants bite:(. I would think they would dine on them though. You can get it at TSC.

As a lot of people on here state, I have tried DE and it hasn't worked. And is dangerous if inhaled. I now use permethrin spray on the chickens and and anywhere there's insects. Stuff is great and leaves a residue for 30 days. It's also very cheap. 8 dollars for a small bottle of concentrate. Mix 1 teaspoon for a quart of water. One quart will cover the complete inside of the coop and 10 chickens and still have some left in the quart sprayer.

DE does get dusty & not good to inhale so I use a dust mask & careful when dusting the girls. Also they have an open air enclosure so not worried about ventilation. Will look into the Spray although I really don't like using chemicals unless I must, then again DE could be considered a "chemical"

Back
Top Bottom