Ants in the coop!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hensofburgoyne, Jun 19, 2017.

1. hensofburgoyne

hensofburgoyne Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2017
    Went out tonite to put my girls to bed and...ANTS. They seemed only out the outside, but I don't want them taking over inside as well. We did just have a massive storm come thru, but I'm concerned.

We've had a huge problem with ants through the property this year, and I really don't want them to get established in the coop.

Any ideas?!

black_dove2 likes this.
  2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    My chickens would just eat them.:)

black_dove2 and Hoodoo Hens like this.
  3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    DE (food grade) inside & outside perimeter.

black_dove2 likes this.
  4. hensofburgoyne

hensofburgoyne Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2017
    gamebirdsonly: I'm hoping! I mean, silly as it sounds, my major concern is if the ants pose any risk of harm to the chickens.

ChickNanny13: thanks. Might even use that elsewhere if it works. It's just kinda crazy how bad the ants are this year!!!

black_dove2 likes this.
  5. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    I sprinkle it all around the base of my house, Hubby would complain cause it's white & very visible but not anymore. My brother mixed some in a sprayer & sprays it on all his plants, leaves a white film but results are good. It'll wash away with rain/water but I've noticed since I sprinkle the base of our house regularly, it does leave a residue that's a plus. I dust my chickens with it, dust my container that I keep my feed in and if you feed Flock Raiser, it's in the ingredients as a mite prevention.

black_dove2 likes this.
  6. Sara Ranch

Sara Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2017
    My chickens eat the ants that venture into the chicken coop. My ducks eat the ants that venture onto the front porch area and on the deck. :)

I wouldn't worry about it. Cornstarch is another good thing to sprinkle around to get rid of ants. Safe for all animals, I believe, but it does a great job getting rid of ants and other small insects.

black_dove2 likes this.
  7. mickeymushroom

mickeymushroom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    food grade DE. Yup don't forget to sprinkle it into the nest boxes and any dust bathing areas... some of these tiny ants bite:(. I would think they would dine on them though. You can get it at TSC.

black_dove2 likes this.
  8. jolly wattles

jolly wattles Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2017
    West Tennessee
    As a lot of people on here state, I have tried DE and it hasn't worked. And is dangerous if inhaled. I now use permethrin spray on the chickens and and anywhere there's insects. Stuff is great and leaves a residue for 30 days. It's also very cheap. 8 dollars for a small bottle of concentrate. Mix 1 teaspoon for a quart of water. One quart will cover the complete inside of the coop and 10 chickens and still have some left in the quart sprayer.

black_dove2 likes this.
  9. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    DE does get dusty & not good to inhale so I use a dust mask & careful when dusting the girls. Also they have an open air enclosure so not worried about ventilation. Will look into the Spray although I really don't like using chemicals unless I must, then again DE could be considered a "chemical"

black_dove2 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by